10

MAKENNA

"I'm fine I promise," I said again.

He scanned my face, looking for anything deeper than a bruise. He lightly touched my bruised cheek bone, causing me to flinch back. That was the worst of the hits.

"I'll get you some ice," he said, getting up from my bed.

"Kaden, I can take care of myself," I said.

"Clearly you can't because your cheek is as swollen as a pregnant lady's feet," he said.

I looked at him, my eyebrows pulled together. Did he just compare my face to feet? He walked out of my room, returning shortly with an ice pack.

"How do you know where stuff is?" I said, looking at him annoyed.

"I opened your freezer and it was there. Just common sense Mak, nothing more," he said smirking.

I rolled my eyes, grabbing the ice pack from him. It really did feel good to have it, but I would never tell him he was right. He laid down on my bed next to me, getting comfortable again.

"I'm guessing this is one of those things that you want me not to ask you about?" he said.

"Yes, you're right about that."

"Too bad I don't ever listen. Why did you fight the guy?"

"Kade, you promised. I'm not going to tell you and you know that. You promised that you were going to respect my choice to tell you things," I said.

"I know, you're right. I just don't like the thought of you getting hurt," he said.

"I appreciate your concern, really, but like I said I can take care of myself."

"Relying on yourself gets old and tiring, sometimes you have to rely on others," he said.

"Maybe one day," I whispered.

"Hopefully you'll be able to rely on me."

I turned to him, wrapping my arm around his torso and pulling myself closer.

"Take this as the first step," I said, resting my head on his chest.

At some point, I fell asleep, relaxing to the sound of Kade's heart beat.

~*~

I woke up to the sound of Kaden laughing. I'd have to say, there could definitely be worse ways to wake me up.

"What are you laughing about?" I asked, my eyes still shut.

"You make adorable faces when you sleep," he said.

"That would sound really creepy coming from anyone but you," I said with a smile.

"Good, because after I said it, I thought you'd think it was creepy."

"Oh I did, but from you it's just kinda cute," I replied.

"Makenna?" he said.

I opened my eyes to find him staring down at me. "Yeah?"

"What are we? What is this?" he asked.

"I don't know. What do you want it to be?" I asked.

"I want it to be you and me. I want you and only you. And I really, really don't want to share you," he said.

"Possessive aren't you?"

"You have no idea," he said.

"Okay, say the words and I'm yours," I whispered.