16

MAKENNA

I woke up in his arms, something I had become much accustomed to. I checked my phone to look at the time to see that I had twenty-seven missed calls from my mom.

Quickly, I grabbed my phone and dialed her number. It rang one time before she answered.

"Makenna Brooklyn Whethers, where the hell are you?" she yelled.

"I'm fine, I'm at Kaden's house," I said quietly, trying to to wake him.

"I'm gone for three weeks, I get back home and my daughter is no where to be found," she said fuming.

"It's not like you bothered to call and check in on me," I shot back.

"I was busy," she replied.

"Too busy to spend five minutes before bed to call me?" I asked. "You know what, forget this. Bye Mom," I said, hanging up.

"You okay?" Kade asked, his voice groggy.

"Yeah, sorry I woke you, go back to sleep," I said.

"Babe, I can't sleep now that you're stressed out like this," he said, running his fingers through my hair.

"I'm fine. My mom, you know how she is. She avoids me for weeks at a time, and when she gets back she wants to be strict Mom. It just doesn't work that way."

He pressed his lips lightly to mine, then pulled away.

"Sorry, I couldn't concentrate without doing that," he said.

I rested my head on his chest, caressing his jaw lightly.

"Thank you for always comforting me, I don't deserve it," I said.

"Stop, you do. In fact, you deserve so much more," he replied.

If only he knew. Now's your chance, tell him. Don't string it along any further, just get straight to the point and hope he doesn't hate you.

"Kade," I began.

"Kaden honey? Do you want breakfast?" his mom said, knocking on the door.

"Yes please," he hollered a reply. His attention was then back on me.

I lost all my will to tell him. I know when I do tell him, it'll be spur of the moment thing. I can't bring myself to actually think about it before saying it.

"What were you saying?" he asked.

"Nothing, it's not important," I replied, kissing his lips.

"I know you said you didn't want to meet my parents, but they're kind of expecting you," he said after he pulled away.

I pouted, going in for another kiss. He moved away smiling.

"If you kiss me again, we won't be eating breakfast," he said laughing.

My natural reaction was to try and kiss him again. I didn't want to meet his parents yet, that was a big step.

"You'll be fine. Get dressed," he said, grabbing a stack of clothes that were on his night table and handing them to me.

"Kade," I complained.

"Mak," he mocked me.

"I don't like you very much today," I said.

"Lies," he replied.

I lifted off his T-shirt, then grabbed my breasts in my right hand, putting my bra on with my left. If he was gonna make me meet his parents, I was gonna tease the shit out of him.