Chapter 10

"You have to listen to me." Lafayette says with tears in his eyes.

"It's gonna be okay." I tell him.

"Y/N you know that isn't true." he cries holding my hand,"I'm so sorry."

"Don't give up. You can't. Laf you're alright." I start bawling.

"Y/N-" he pauses and I put my head to his chest but there is nothing.

"Laf." I shake him lightly,"Laf you got to get up... Please."

There's no sign of him breathing whatsoever. The doctor said this would happen I just wasn't prepared. How could I be? We were supposed to have a life together. I just stare blankly at his lifeless body. His hand is now cold. Then I feel like I'm falling, and everything goes black and my breathing slows. My lungs get tighter and tighter until I can't breathe anymore and my head hurts from lack of oxygen.

"Y/N!" I hear someone yell then shake me like I did to Lafayette.

I open my eyes to see Eliza standing by my bed,"It was just a dream." she comforts me,"Just breathe." At this point I was hyperventilating. I was slightly sweating and had streams of tears on my face. "They'll be home soon Y/N." Eliza hugs me.

I've been staying with the Schuyler's for 7 months now. These nightmares have been happening for 7 months as well. This weekend all the boys are coming back for a little bit. Eliza and I have been looking forward to this for many months since the day Alexander sent her a letter announcing this. I'm just glad I'll get to see Laf again. He's written me a lot of letters since he left as I have him.

"Thank you Eliza." I say finally calm enough to speak with my breathing back to almost normal.

"It's going to be okay Y/N." she says,"Try to get some sleep." She walks out of my room and I just sit there for a while. I look over at my desk noticing a letter I hadn't seen before. I walk over and grab it. It's from Lafayette. It must have come today and I didn't notice. I open it and begin reading it. He writes about how the war is going in the begin then gets to how he misses me. Most of his letter are like that. He's now transitioned from 'Sincerely' at the bottom to 'Love' which makes my heart skip a beat. Then I read the last little bit.

'I have a surprise for you when I see you again. I hope you'll like it.'

Whatever it is I'm sure I'll love it already. Despite being apart it feels like we've grown closer. I just have to hang in there until this weekend. I get back in bed after putting the letter with the others in a box. I stare at the ceiling for awhile until I fall asleep thinking of the possibilities that his surprise is.

·-·

What do you think the surprise is?