Chapter 21

"What happened when you went back?" I ask Alexander while he takes a drink. Right now we're in Washington's quarters having breakfast. It's been about a week since the incident. Everyone has been so busy that I haven't seen them. Lafayette would be by my side almost every minute but as of now he is in a meeting with General Washington.

"That's not important. All of us are okay. You've been through to much." Hamilton says trying to be sympathetic. Well about as sympathetic as he gets.

"The red coats are all dead. Right?" I ask making him freeze as he was getting up to put his dishes away from breakfast.

"Other than the one you brought back. Yes the rest are all dead." Alexander says as he puts his dishes away in the sink,"Why did you bring that red coat back?"

I gulp down my food then look at him,"Because he never wanted to hurt us."

"Y/N you can't possibly believe a word those red coats say. He was probably saying that so you would trust him. You know I'm right." Hamilton said sternly a little upset for my reason.

"You may not be right. Either way he wanted to live in the colonies. He hates violence. You should've seen his face when they hit me in the leg." I replied.

"First of all he hates violence yet he's fighting in a war? Second of all if he hates violence so much why didn't he stop them? Lastly why are you defending him? I swear all of the things that have happened to you has changed you so much."

"So you're implying that I have changed in a bad way? Oh I see how it is." I said without thinking as it was obvious that Alexander wasn't thinking when he made that last comment.

"No that's not what I meant." he tries to recover himself.

"Are you saying I can't handle myself?" I ask him fear obviously in his face.

"What's going on here?" I turn around to see Lafayette's beautiful face.

"Oh um we were just talking and yeah." Hamilton stumbles through his words which rarely happened. I guess he's afraid to make Laf mad which makes me laugh a little to myself.

"Y/N come with me. I need to talk to you about something." he says completely ignoring Alexander.

"Of course." I reply as he grabs my arm and we leave Alex. He's lucky Lafayette came in. Who knows what I would've said to him next. Laf leads me back to our quarters and lays down on our bed as I do the same next to him.

"I'm going back." he says quietly staring at the ceiling.

"I know." I reply as I get nauseous thinking about him fighting again after what just happened. Tears fill my eyes as I think back to when that happened.

"Are you going to be alright?" Laf asks turning towards me so I turn the other way to hide my tears,"Y/N?"

"Yeah?" I say probably sounding different from the tears silently falling down my face. I knew this would happen but I just got him back.

"Look at me." he says calmly with his hand on my shoulder. I turn around to look him in the face and his face instantly saddens even more than it was before,"I'm so sorry." He pulls me into a tight warm hug not letting me go for what seems like forever while I cried and he tried to calm me down. Even he cried a bit. After awhile of silence I look up to see him peacefully sleeping and I somehow get free of his grasp without waking him. Quietly I walk to the General's office and knock lightly on the door.

"Come in."a stern yet friendly voice calls that could only belong to Washington himself. I open the door a little walking inside the small office with 2 desks. The other I assume is for Hamilton which is placed on the right side of Washington's desk. I bet the people who put it there thought it was so clever,"Y/N. How are you doing?"

"I'm okay. Been better." I reply.

"Has Marquis talked to you?" he asks looking up from what he was working on.

"Yes he has but is there anything I can do to help you in anyway. I know I can't fight because of my leg but I signed up for this revolution and I plan to partake in it." I say to him.

"Y/N right now I would just like it if you would rest. After everything that has happened I think it would be the best. I've contacted the Schyuler's they agreed to let you stay with them until Lafayette comes back." the General says.

"I don't mind staying with the Schyuler's. What I don't understand is that I've been through everything Lafayette has and you aren't only letting him help but you're letting him fight in the war."

"It's complicated. I'm sorry but this is just how it is." Washington replies.

"Thank you for your time." I say before leaving the office to go back to where I left Laf sleeping peacefully. Once I am in the room I see Lafayette still sleeping peacefully and I crawl into bed right next to him laying like I was before. Right as I close my eyes I could swear I heard him say 'I love you.' in that beautiful French he speaks.

·-·

Hey guys. I'm alive but that's about it. I thought today would be better but it really wasn't at all.

Hope you enjoyed the update!