8. Brave Child (Day 2)

Word Count: 1015

Rated: PG

Description: Kid!AU 7-year olds Gru and Lucy go trick-or-treating (Day 2 of HalloWEEK)

-----------------------

 Kids accompanied by their parents were busy roaming for candy. Each haughty child sported very similar outfits. Door by door they knocked and door by door they got candy. It was a simple method and they went with it.

With a full moon shining above, the small redheaded pulled her frilly up to her knees. Her silver shoes jumped across each puddle she went by. Nothing brought more happiness than celebrating Halloween once again. The idea of dressing up as any preference was delightful. This year Lucy decided to pull off a serendipitous butterfly princess costume, though it wasn't what she wished for. Purple layers of glittery skirts were stacked and reached to her feet and big puffs were covering her shoulders. Around her armpits were the wings. Lucy's hair completed the outfit with pigtails. The redheaded attempted not to boast of her puffy costume. Nevertheless, she'd stop for a quick twirl every second. 

Next to the pleased child was a not-so-pleased child, Gru. As much as he praised his hand-crafted hybrid costume of Frankenstein and a superhero, no else seemed to appreciate it. The small boy thought it'll catch everyone's attention. Instead, the only attention he ever got was from his only best-redheaded friend. The more Gru nagged about his hybrid costume, the more Lucy tried cheering him up. Her comments were impacted of positivity which Gru secretly smiled and look up at.  

Lucy faced Gru, pointing at a steep building. "Alright, this is the last house." 

The kids tramped up to the house with their baskets shackling of treats. The urge of tasting one was unbeatable, but Gru and Lucy promised Marlena not to eat them yet. The innovating boy murmured through his words with a sigh. "I can't wait tu take dis costume off." Lucy turned her head around. Gru's head was hanging from his neck with a frown on. "Don't say that," Began she. "You're costume is the best thing I've ever seen. It's so different from others. And if those people don't like or understand your amazing costume," She pointed herself. "Then I will love it no matter what!" 

Simple words like that really made the boy feel unwanted feelings. Such as his heart beating faster and face hotter than usual. His pale hands covered his warming cheeks as he avoided contact. "Now let's go! Let's go! This is our last house so we better make and grab as many candies as we can!" Jumped the enthusiastic girl. Her pigtails flew as she sprinted towards the walkway of the next house. The blushing kid ran up to her.

This house differed from previous ones. This one was decorated with gory figures and scary clowns that frighten young Gru. Lucy began walking. Her hand grasped the handle of her basket. The redheaded's eyes wandered for her tasty reward. "Oh, this is going to be so delicious!" Lucy stated. She expected a response but instead she got a breeze blowing her hair. Lucy turned to her side and her best friend wasn't there. Then, she turned around to spot him standing still. Lucy ran back to Gru. "What's wrong?" Asked she. "Let's go get our candy!" Lucy waved her hand. The innovating boy backed up and started fidgeting his thumbs. He tried looking away at the figures, but nothing screamed more attention to the fake blood on the grass, a hanging skeleton, and villainous laughter repeatedly playing. "Y-Yu ca-can go ahead. I'll wait here." He stuttered. Before the redheaded would start complaining her eyes followed what Gru was staring at. "Are you scared?" Lucy asked. Young Gru jumped in surprise. 

"Wha-What? Scared! No-no! I'm not scared." He defied her assumption.

She shifted her hips while narrowing her eyebrows. "Come on, Felly you can't lie to me." 

He stood silently. "Here," The redheaded opened her hands to him. "Take my hand, we'll walk through this together." She ended with a smirk. Gru continuously glanced at her helping hand and back at the figurines. "I-I don't wanna touch yur hand, gross." The boy shoved Lucy's hand out of his face. "Fine then, I guess you will have to suffer now." The redheaded turned her back walking gracefully. He bit his lower lip, giving up quickly. "Fine, I'll hold yur hand." Blurted he. Lucy smiled and was more than happy to embrace his hand. "But, it better be quick!" He snapped.

Unfortunately for her, Gru's hand was packed his sweat but with warmth as well. She didn't like to admit how comfortable she felt so she stayed quiet. 

Hand in hand they strolled to their destination. Lucy decided to take it slow for the sake of Gru. As they passed by the hanging skeleton, the innovating boy shut his eyes and squeezed Lucy's hand. "It's ok." She whispered. The redheaded ensnared a handful of candy onto her basket and she did the same for her best friend. They scurried away from the house before any danger would occur. 

"Umm, can I have my hand back?" Asked Lucy. 

"O-Oh right." Gru freed released her hand. 

Back at Gru's room, the soundless boy chewed on the variety of candy. He smiled at the memory of holding Lucy's hand popped in. It was a silly and gross thought, but he couldn't seem to disregard it. The softness of her palms was welcoming as well as her smile. Everything of the redheaded Gru praised it secretively. He didn't want to lose his only friend just for confessing his love towards her. Nor did he ever want to lose seeing her smile. Lucy means everything in this world for the young child and he would risk anything just to be with her. 

Oh, the thought of how the touch of her hand returned! Might he add how divine Lucy looked in her butterfly costume? As long as she's happy so is Gru. 

"Hey, are you ok there? You're really red." Commented Lucy. The innovating boy snapped back to reality. "Uh, i-it's no-nothing." Blurted he.~