28. Carols Through The Snow

Word Count: 502

Rated: PG (more angst)

Description: Before the girls were adopted, they had spent their Christmas' caroling 

------------------------------------------

    Thick blankets of snow covered the streets. The greedy snow washed over cars and the sidewalk. Yet, they walked, shifting their feet across the snow. The wind roamed over their bodies, kissing their cheeks. Margo shakily adjusted her glasses. She felt a tug on her arm. The toddler wrapped her covered arms around the eldest. The peek of her nose was red meanwhile, the rest of her face matched the snow. "I-I'm cold." Agnes quavered. Her jaw wavered as her little eyes glanced up ahead. Margo placed her hand on the youngling's shoulder, comforting her. "It'll be alright." breathed Margo. Following the same trembling state of Margo and Agnes was the group of orphans. The 20 girls were huddled in a tight spot, hoping their breaths could heat them up. It was their annual Christmas Caroling outside in the street. It was the only day when the girls used their vocals, singing the joy of Christmas. The 20 girls were gathered from Ms. Hattie's Home For Girls, their representative being Ms. Hattie. As much as the girls despised the cold and sharpness of the snow, they participated for the sake of finding a family. 

A push from her shoulder caused Margo to hiss at Edith. "Quit it, Edith!" The blonde shoved her hands into her pockets, kicking the snow. the girl in the pink beanie hat despised the raw touch of snow on her skin. She also disliked the fact of how Margo forced to join in and go caroling in front of people. They had taken a course of music class to learn how to control their vocals. Edith was stunned how she enjoyed the feeling of singing and the usage of her vocals. It was a different experience, yet she loved it. 

"Alright, get in position." Ms. Hattie commanded. 

Margo freed the youngest one's hand. Agnes jerked her head towards Margo. "I don't want to do this." She spoke softly. Before Margo ran up to her position, she held Agnes' hand. Margo's palm embraced the outer part of the other's hand as she gazed at her edgy eyes. As the eldest talked she felt the heat of her breath warm her. "Remember we do this so someone can adopt us soon." Agnes parted her lips as if she was going to speak, but closed it. Then she tried again. "Do you think we'll be adopted before Christmas? It would be the best present." Smiled Agnes. "I hope so, Agnes. I hope so." Margo smirked. With that, Margo ran to her spot. The teen unfolded her paper from her pocket. 

The 12 Days of Christmas played. 

Margo forced her vocals not to crack as she felt incoming tears form. Her eyes were watered. As she blinked, the tear slipped through her pale cheek. Soon we'll get adopted and soon we'll be having an actual Christmas we deserve! I just know it...