20. Multilingual Gru

During the Thanksgiving week, I was rewatching Despicable Me (because why not) and I noticed how fluently Gru says "Tu tienes una carra como un burro. [You have a face like a donkey]" to Ms. Hattie. It's probably that Steve Carell is fluent, but yet again the scriptwriters wrote this movie. And they could have easily told Steve to fumble between speaking Spanish. But they didn't.

Then we have Despicable Me 2 who surrounds itself with Hispanic culture to be precise Mexican culture. He says "Me llamo llama ding dong." 

What these two phrases from both movies have in common is that their insults, Spanish insults. Now my theory is that Gru knows Spanish or Spanish insults really easily. On the Ellen Degeneres Show (she's the best) Steve was dressed as Gru to promote the sequel. He said that Gru's from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I don't know if he's joking or not but that's just there. For some reason, though I strongly feel like Gru enjoys cursing people out in Spanish (it'd be funny XD). He probably studied Spanish in his early teens when he wasn't planning a heist. I dunno.

As my title, I wrote Multilingual Gru because he speaks English fluently, my theory of speaking Spanish and he's probably is native to Russia by his accent. I hope it gets confirmed in the 3rd movie on what's his native language and his background history. Gru's a pretty interesting character if you think about it~