Chapter 19 - Warnings

Nina yawned. She opened her eyes slowly and admired the light going inside the room. Amber and Emily were still sleeping. She needed to talk to Amber about the plan she had been thinking about all night long. She planned in telling the gang after it had been done. They wouldn’t understand what was going on, until Nina and Amber had proof. Emily’s phone rang. Nina couldn’t wait until Amber woke up, it was the right moment to give her plan a go. She took Emily’s phone and went to the girls’ bathroom. Emily and Amber kept sleeping.

Nina: Let’s see what you are hiding.

Nina started reading all of the texts she had with ‘Lewis’. None of them helped at all to say it was Fabian, until she reached the final texts with the one Emily just got. One of them said:

“The dreams I had before are back, and they’re stronger. I still need your help, have you seen anyone alike to the people I mentioned you?”

She then read the one Emily just got:

“My research is going well, but perhaps, I’d visit the library Rosie took me to last time again. The book I took out, plus the books I borrowed from your housemate, are all very helpful.”

That was just it, the text she needed. She knew it was Fabian after all, and that he used Emily’s last name probably because he couldn’t remember his. Though she didn’t understand about the dreams he was having, but she was now determined to find out. She took out the little paper in which she had Fabian’s number, the one she took out from the library, and called. She was nervous. She wasn’t sure what she would say, but, she was hoping words came along as she talked. A woman answered.

Rosie: Yes, hello?

Nina: Um… hi. May I talk to Fabian?

Rosie: I’m sorry, who are you?

Nina: Just a friend.

Rosie: I’m afraid you’ve got this number wrong sweetie, there’s no one named Fabian living here.

Nina didn’t understand. If that was the number Fabian gave, why would she say he didn’t live there?

Nina: Oh, I’m sorry, must have the wrong number.

She hang up. Rosie kept looking at the phone, thinking about what just happened.

Rosie: Fabian dear, would you come here?

Fabian appeared in a matter of seconds, and noticed her face.

Fabian: Something wrong?

Rosie: Well, I don’t know. Does someone knows, apart from Emily and I, that your real name is Fabian?

Fabian: No, no that I’m aware of.

Rosie: Some girl called asking for you, with that name, and I told her no one named Fabian lived here.

Fabian: Is that what Emily told you to do last night she called?

Rosie: Yes. She says is for protection, but what for?

Fabian: Only she knows.

--------------------------------------------------

Nina felt disappointed. She was so close, yet so far. She knew it was him, but she didn’t know how to prove it, or even talk to him. She heard some steps coming from her room. She hid immediately Emily’s phone and came out. It was her.

Nina: Good morning.

Emily: And to you. It would sound weird, but, have you seen my phone?

Nina: Isn’t it in the room? Don’t worry, I’ll help you look for it.