introducing Luke Hemmings

Everyone has someone they hate. Even if you don't want to admit it, you have someone that is your sworn enemy.
It doesn't have to be for a reason. 
It can be a feeling. 
It can be your gut telling you someone isn't good for you to be around. 

For me, that person was Luke Hemmings. 
God, how I hated that boy. I hated him with my whole heart, and it has been that way since day one.
Just a few weeks after leaving my whole life in England behind, Luke had made my first day of school hell. With the first thing he had said to me.

After two weeks of somewhat trying to settle in, it was time for me to go to my new school. It was the reason I hadn't been able to sleep properly ever since my family set foot on the Australian ground. 
"What would my class be like, did they dress differently here, am I going to fit in, would they judge me, would they like me? "
Those were the thoughts that had run through my head over and over again. 
Knowing that those questions would only be answered once I actually went, frightened me the most. Even in a simple pair of jeans, a simple shirt and some awesome new boots,  my confidence was the worst it had ever been. 
"Let's go, honey," my mum grabbed my hand and led me inside. 

The school was nothing like back home. We knew everyone back there, and even in the big city of London it felt small. Playing with my friends was my favorite thing in the world, and not having done that in a while, it felt very lonely. Walking towards the dean's office, I immediately felt like an outsider. Every kid was wearing a uniform and they were all staring at me. My normal clothes made me even more like 'the new one'. Silently praying that I got a uniform better sooner than later, I walked into the office. Luckily my mum did all the talking, which wasn't strange because at six years old, I knew nothing about the Australian school culture. The lady who gave me everything I needed had a strange accent which took a little gettting used to. 

Once the uniform was safely clinging onto my body, I felt a little safer. Using my brightest smile I twirled in it, and strange enough, it boosted my confidence. Now I looked like every other kid. 
My mum kissed me goodbye, and the feeling of being completely on my own hit me like a heatwave.
The walk to the classroom felt longer than it was, and once the dean opened the door, my knees were about to give in. Everyone was staring at me once again, and this were only like twenty kids. Trying to bite back tears, I smiled at everyone.

"You must be Jessy. Welcome to Sydney North!" the teacher happily said, "Why don't you introduce yourself?"
Not knowing where to start, I just looked at a boy with blonde hair who looked nice and pretended I was talking to only him. 
"I'm... I'm Jessy. My full name is Jessica but you can just call me Jessy. I'm from London and I'm ten. There's not really much to tell I think."

The silence that followed was almost deafening, until the blonde kid I had been focussing on spoke. "You have a weird accent. Do you always speak like that?"
"Shut up, Luke!" a boy with dark blonde hair exclaimed. 
"Michael, we do not tolerate that language here." the teacher said calmly, but I was actually glad that someone stood up for me. This Michael was someone I was gonna like, that was a given.
Once the teacher had assigned me the seat next to Michael, he introduced himself again. 
"Hi, I'm Michael, but everyone calls me Mikey. Don't mind him," he pointed to Luke, "He's an ass."
"No, your accent really is weird. Are you gonna change that or not?" Luke hit my shoulder, mocking my accent.
I wasn't going to like Luke, and it has never changed. 

It wasn't really bullying from either of us, but it had been annoyance from both sides for seven years now. Seven years! Never in my life I had thought it had been possible, but apparently we liked to prove otherwise.
When we went to high school I thought we would grow out of it, but of course, we had been placed in the same class again. Avoiding him seemed impossible. Sometimes we were forced to talk to each other, but if I could tell you this, it would be that it wasn't nice to talk to Luke Hemmings. 

I hated him. Him, and that damn attitude of his.
There are many ways you can describe Luke Hemmings, but my version is the only one that actually described his personality. So, here's a brief description.

Luke Robert Hemmings is a tall blond, and an asshole. He always has been, but he likes to make everyone think he's not. His bright blue eyes seem to stare right into you, even if you don't want them to. He's the team captain of the hockey team and likes to run miles on the weekend to keep up his looks. He sings and plays the guitar in a band that he's in with his best friends. The band consists of himself, Michael Clifford, Ashton Irwin and Calum Hood. 

He has features that all girls fall for, except me. Maybe because I'm the only person who had known him for so long and had been forced to be around him. 
There was almost no way to ignore him. How could you ignore someone who has been nothing but a shitty person to you for seven years? 

Luke always looked at me like he couldn't even bear to see me, whilst there was no reason to feel that way about me. At first I had struggled with that, but now I tried every day to accept the fact that he looked at me with that typical look of his. Since that one day it had only resulted in me swearing he'd be my nemesis for the rest of my life. 
What made everything difficult, was that I couldn't express my hatred towards him. How would I be able to do that, if he was the son of Liz Hemmings. Liz was my mum's best friend, and my math teacher. 
On the rare occassions where Luke comes to our house, which always felt like a violation of my privacy, I prefer to get out as fast as I can. Of course that raised questions among mine and his family, but we always found an excuse. 

I liked Luke's best friend, Michael, though. We had been neighbours and friends since I came to live in Sydney. The two of us used to be very good friends. When we were younger, we both hated Luke. Michael had been the one to stand up for me when Luke made shitty remarks about me, and he was the one I could talk to when Luke was being annoying in particular. 

The downside to our friendship was that Michael was now best friends with Luke. They hang out all the time now they're in the band.
That had resulted in Michael and I not hanging out much anymore. 

And because of that I hated Luke even more. 

But that all changed.