Chapter 1

My eyelids feel heavy as I struggle to open them. People are talking all around me and I hear sirens nearby. Why is my body sore? Where am I? I finally succeed at opening my eyes and find beautiful blue ones staring back at me. I look down at his arms wrapped around me and then everything goes dark again...

Slowly I start to hear people talking around me and I try to open my eyes.

"Mom?" I manage to get out.

My mother rushes to my side when she hears my voice. She grabs my hand and smiles down at me. "How are you feeling, sweetie?" she asks while wiping the tears off of her face.

I open my mouth to reply but my throat is too dry and I can't seem to get any words out. She notices and quickly brings a glass of water to my mouth. After I gulped the water down I start glancing around.

Everything is so...white? This isn't my room.

"Where am I?" I ask confused.

My mother gives me a sad smile "Sweetie, you're in the hospital."

"The hospital, why what happened?" I ask ,not quite fully awake yet.

My mother's brown eyes start watering again. "Honey, this is going to be hard for you-" she starts.

I stare at her confused.

"You went for a ride on Dandy and-" She stops and looks away. I can tell it's something really bad.

"And?" I urge her to continue.

"You got hit by a truck, Dandy-" she pauses "-Dandy didn't make it sweetie."

"What!" I yell. Tears start streaming down my face.

No, not Dandy.

~*~*~

After the Doctor did his final checkups he let me go home. He said that I'm very lucky to be walking away from an accident that severe with only a broken arm and some bruises.

Yeah I might be, but I'm also walking away with a broken heart.

The farm doesn't feel the same without Dandy running around. I stare at her empty paddock through my window for hours every day. The rest of the day I would just lay on my bed crying. Mom tried to get me out of bed a few times saying that I should take one of the other horses and go for a ride, but how could I?

They aren't Dandy.

It's just me and my mom on this farm along with 2 farmhands. I love this place. We have about a hundred horses roaming around here, most of them wild. We also have a few in the barn that's used by the farmhands for round-ups and stuff. Jup, it's a nice life, but right now I don't feel like living.

I turn my light off and allow sleep to take over.