Chapter 6

The sound of a truck horn pulls me out of sleep. It's Monday, mom's back!

The rest of the weekend was okay. Sam went home yesterday and Trevor slept on my beanbag again last night because I had another nightmare.I look over at the beanbag that's now unoccupied and I wonder why Trevor would sleep on that uncomfortable thing just for me.

My nightmares are always exactly the same. I'm riding Dandy and everything is fine then all of a sudden  she spooks and runs in front of this huge truck and before it hits us I wake up.

There's a knock on my door and after I yell "Come in" Jack enters. He smiles at me and hands me a mug.

"What's this?" I ask dumbfounded.

"Coffee." he answers casually.

"Oh thanks, but why?" I ask, knowing there's a catch.

"Cause you need energy." He has a naughty look in his eyes.

"Once again, why." I ask suspiciously.

"Just get yah butt dressed and downstairs in 10 minutes, okay." He doesn't wait for me to answer and I glare at his back as he walks away.

Ugh why do people have to be so bossy. If it's not Sam then it's Jack. I just can't get a break, can I?

10 minutes later and I'm running down the stairs. I'm dressed in skinny jeans, boots , a brown shirt that compliments my brown eyes and my hair is up in a pony tail. Everybody is already waiting for me in the living room when I arrive.

"Right so what are we doing?" I ask them.

"We need to bring the herd in for check ups." Jack replies.

It's like all the heat is drained from my body.

"Calm down Anna, you ain't gonna be ridin'. You and Trevor are takin' the truck." He says quickly when he noticed my panicked state.

"Okay that sounds better" I say, relief flooding through me.

"Alright let's go." Jack says and throws Trevor the keys to the truck.

"Hey!" I yell and both of them look at me confused

"What?" they ask in unison.

"Why can't I drive?" I ask with my hands on my hips.

"Because." Is all Jack says before walking out. I look at Trevor and he just shrugs.

"Ugh." I groan and follow him outside.

Jack and Ben, the other farmhand, mounts their horses while Trevor and I get in the truck. Jack quickly explains to Trevor where the herd is located and we take the lead. It's a bit of a long drive so I turn on the radio and start singing along. "You'll find mine on the right of your side."

"Wow." Trevor says and looks at me with those beautiful blue eyes.

"What?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"You can really sing." he says and smiles at me.

"I try." I joke and he laughs. It's a deep and rumbling laughter, one that vibrates through my body and gives me goosebumps. Snap out of it! I scold myself.

Jack gives the signal for us to stop and pulls up at the side of the truck. "Okay so we're gonna chase the herd this way. When you hear 'em just drive along the left side, Ben will take the right and I'ma be at the back." He explains.

Trevor nods and Jack and Ben ride away.  After a while of silence I decide to say something."So how old are you, Trevor?" I ask curiously.

He looks surprised that I've started a conversation with him but answers anyway. "Not too old for you." he says with a wink.

I laugh and slap his shoulder. "Your not my type."

He smirks "I'm everybody's type."

I threaten to slap him again and he holds his hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay. I just turned twenty. What about you?" he asks.

"Eighteen." I reply casually.

"See, I told you I'm not too old for you." he says and wiggles his eyebrows.

"Trevor!" I yell and playfully punch him.

He pretends to be hurt but then starts laughing. We talked for a few more minutes before we heard the pounding of hooves. I actually started to warm up towards Trevor, not that I'd tell him that though.

He starts the engine and when we see the herd he puts the truck into gear and drives up to their left side. Everything goes smoothly and we get all of the horses into their paddock. Trevor quickly jumps out and closes the gate.

"Good work man." Jack praises Trevor.

"Thanks." Trevor beams.

Jack and Ben ride off and Trevor walks back to the truck. He walks over to my side and opens the door. "Get out."

I look at him confused. "Why, are you going to leave me here to die?" I joke

He rolls his eyes at me. "No, you're driving."

A small smile spreads across my face as I run around to the driver's seat. "Well look at that, you're nice after all." I tease and he shoots me an award winning grinn.