Chapter 20

Ah monday morning. Who would have thought that I'd ever be cheerful on a monday? Oh well. I quickly change into my normal working clothes. Meaning a t-shirt, long denim jeans and boots. I do live on a farm after all.

I grab an apple on my way out and proceed to the barn. There I notice a strange truck. Wonder who that could be? As I near the barn I hear voices. Sounds like mom's having a serious discussion with the stranger.

"Morning." I say as I enter the barn.

"Morning honey" mom greets back.

"Ah and who is this lovely lady?" the strange man asks, giving me a creepy smile.

"Phil this is my daughter Anna." my mother introduces me.

"So this is the famous Anna." he says and gives me a once over that sends chills down my spine.

"Oh no I'm nothing special." I say trying to convince him.

Before he could speak again my mother cuts him off. Thank goodness.

"Phil is here to buy a horse for his daughter Amanda." my mom explains.

Wait Amanda, that sounds familiar. Where have I heard that name before?

Oh yeah, the diner girl. My blood boils just at the mention of her name.

"Yes mam, anything for my baby girl." Phil answers.

"Anything specific you're looking for, Phil?" My mom aks.

"Well she wants a fiery stallion no more that 5 years old." Phil answers and I turn cold.

Troublemaker is a fiery stallion under the age of 5. Oh no.

"Well let me show you what I got." My mom leads the way and Phil follows with me not far behind.

"We keep the young stallions over here" she motions to the rows of paddocks next to the barn. We approach the first paddock with 2 horses grazing peacefully.

"These are yearlings fresh out of the field. They're halter broke but that's about it." mom explains.

Phil shakes his head. "No too young."

"Thought so." Mom answers. "Let's move on to the 2 year olds."

We walk past the next paddock which also contains yearlings and stop at the 3rd one.

"This is a 2 year old colt. He has just started his ground training. Great temperament but maybe not enough spunk for your daughter." Mom says.

Phil studies the horse for a while. "Good looking horse this one. But let's see the others first."

"Alright." Mom proceeds to the next paddock which contains 2 horses. "These colts are farther along in their ground training than the previous one. I'd say their about ready for saddle training."

I look at the two colts playing with each other. One is pitch black while the other is a reddish brown. They start chasing each other around and I can't help but smile.