Chapter 35

Zayn's POV

Adira walks inside the council building with me following behind her.

It doesn't surprise me that the Horans were sitting there listening to everything that Adira told me. At least they know how the council truly feels about their son.

Talking to Adira was the last thing that I wanted to be doing, but I knew it would be better to talk to her before I see Iyla, instead of after. Adira seems like the type of person that would ruin the moment. Not to mention, I don't know how serious this conversation we are about to have is and I'd rather not speak about it in front of Iyla.

She leads me into a small conference room and slips into a small space through the door. From the quick glimpse I got of the room, all of the other council members are sitting at the table. Flocking one empty seat on both sides.

Adira quickly closes the door and stands in the small opening that she has created.

"Would you mind if your guards waited outside? This is extremely confidential information. We don't want anyone except for you and the people in this room to hear what we are about to discuss."

I glance back at my guards before looking back at her.

"That's no problem at all." I answer.

"But, Zayn-"

"Frank, nothing is going to happen to me. It's the Council for crying out loud." I tell him.

Frank sighs and nods his head.

"We'll be waiting at the end of the hall." He says.

I nod my head and turn to enter the room.

Adira pushes the door open just enough for me to slip in.

Once I have entered the room, she closes and locks the door.

"Please, take a seat." She motions to the chair at the end of the table.

Fixing my suit jacket, I take a seat and lightly sigh.

"I know you would much rather be holding Iyla in your arms at this moment, but trust me this is important." Adira comments.

I nod my head and slightly lean back in my chair.

"I don't know much about the situation at hand, so I'm going to let Caius explain to you what is going on."

"Caius?" I question.

"As you know there are five members of the Council. You have only met four. Caius is the fifth member. Go ahead Caius and explain so he won't look as confused."

Everyone slowly turns to a man sitting on Adira's left. He looks kind of rough, like he's been homeless for some time. 

He has blonde hair and sharp blue eyes that seem to be calculating every move that anyone makes. He's tall, maybe my height, and has quite the muscles.

Actually, he looks a lot like Frank. If I were to see him from behind, I would probably mistake the two.

I'm forced to focus on what he has to say as he begins speaking.

"For the past year or so I have been living among the humans. It originally started out as a way to make sure that they were not trying to harm any supernatural creatures, but soon turned into something else." He explains.

"After having been away for three months, it came to my attention that many of the humans wanted nothing to do with us supernaturals. They didn't want war, if anything they just want to be treated better. From that moment on it was easy to see who was considered a rebel. The rebels not only act differently, but they have an entire different way of dressing, so it became easy to spot one out in a crowd. I had a quick conversation with Adira and we both believed that the best thing for us to do was for me to infiltrate the rebels."