Chapter 43

Iyla's POV

"The attacks are much more frequent now. They used to take weeks to recuperate, now they are taking just a few days." Frank says.

"They are getting stronger." Zayn responds.

"That's impossible. They have no allies besides themselves and even if they do have a few Angels or Demons on their side they still shouldn't be able to recover this fast." I explain.

"How else would you explain them being able to attack us twice in the span of one week?" Frank blurts.

"Numbers. They managed to get more people in on the cause. I told you that the only way to end this war is to talk to them. You all ignored me back then. It's too late to talk now. Now you need to get your men in shape and prepare to fight. These humans are tired of being treated like trash, so they are willing to do whatever they have to do try and change things for the better." 

"Even if it means killing a bunch of innocent people?" Frank asks.

I nod.

He rolls his eyes and turns back to Zayn.

"I think you should let me do this on my own. I can figure out a way to annihilate this cause and still have a good chunk of the human population left to our disposal." Frank suggests.

Zayn sighs and shakes his head.

"Absolutely not. We will try it the way that Iyla originally proposed. It may be too late, but it never hurts to try. Send someone out to their nearest camping grounds and have them deliver a message to their leader that I wish to meet. They are to send my man back with details of when and where they would like to meet. Make sure to tell them we would like to end this as humane as possible. If I can stop innocent blood from being shed, then so be it."

"They won't be expecting this. That's for sure."  I say.

Frank sits still as stone in his chair just staring down Zayn.

"Frank, I gave you an order. So why are you still sitting in front of me?" Zayn asks.

Franks shakes his head and stands.

"I'm sorry, sir. I will report back to you once I have made the necessary arrangements." Franks nods his head and quickly leaves the room.

Zayn sighs and throws his head back against the chair.

I rise from my chair and place my hand on his shoulder.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I know Frank disagrees with my decision."

"And?"

"And it sucks. Frank and I are usually always on the same side. Out of all the years he's worked with me we have yet to actually disagree on anything." He utters.

"Well, it was bound to happen at some point. You can't always count on one specific person to agree with you on everything." I state.

"I know." He sighs.

He reaches up the grasp the hand that I have on his shoulder. He lightly presses his lips against my fingers and stands.

"Let's get out of here. Would you like to go on a walk in the garden with me?" He whispers as his hand trails across my face.

"I would love to, but it seems that  your memory is a bit foggy today." I respond.

"What could I possibly be forgetting?"

"The ball." I whisper.

He groans and rolls his eyes.

"I never forgot about that. If anything I was hoping you would." He admits.