2.3 Attempt Number 2

If there was a perfect time to schedule a test or assignment due date, it was after the holidays. While I had a quiz and a short paper due for my two classes, Carmen only had a mid-term for one of her pharmacology courses. Max was in the same course and, along with others in that same course, made the apartment cram night central. Carmen and the study group respected my privacy as I was doing something different. I also had my headphones on, effectively blocking out their random bursts of laughter, except for the three seconds of silence between each track. Being the roommate she is, she offered me some food they were having.

After completing three lines for my paper, productivity at its finest, I decided it was a good time to fill up my mug with something. At first I eyed the blood stashed behind the ketchup, but then remembered the fanboy. While none of the study buddies were hunters, as not one of them took a keen interest in me, it was better to play it safe.

"Close the fridge, will you?" Carmen yelled from the living room.

Quickly I grabbed a bottle with a green spout and closed the fridge after. While absentmindedly pouring the contents into my mug, the buzzer for the intercom went off.

"Finally! Pizza's here!" one study buddy exclaimed.

"Good, I'm starving!" Carmen was about to stand up and retrieve the food, but Max beat her to it.

"Food's on me. I'll be back in a few." He grabbed the money set aside and left the apartment.

While he left to retrieve the stuff, the study buddies had some questionable things to say about his actions.

"Is this the first time he's ordering food for us?" Study buddy one, I believe his name was Harun, asked.

"He did pay for my lunch once," Study buddy two, who went by the name Sylvie said.

"That's because you were short a couple cents." I can't remember study buddy three's name, but she commented while twiddling her pen.

"Let's hope he doesn't mess this up," Carmen added in.

It didn't take too long for Max to retrieve the pizzas: meat mountain, some gross, soggy vegetarian, and one with everything on it. The greasy scent leaked through the cracks before he could open the door. While they smelled delicious, there was an overpowering, vomit-inducing odour. I tried plugging my nose but apparently my vampire senses could still pick it up.

"Who's ready for some pizzas?" Max said as he re-entered the apartment. He walked over to the island in the kitchen and placed the stack of boxes on it.

Carmen dove for the pizza with everything on it. She grabbed the largest slice and took a big bite. Just after she took that bite she spat it out. "Max, you idiot! I told you no garlic on my pizza!"

Max stood there with a raised eyebrow. "I told them not to put the garlic on your pizza because of your sensitivity."

"I will not fail a test because of a bad food reaction!" She threw the pizza slice at Max's face then stormed into the bathroom.

"Maybe the other pizzas aren't overloaded with garlic." Study buddy three picked up a meat mountain slice and, like Carmen, she spat out the first bite. "Yo, Max, there's garlic on this pizza too. Did you order garlic on all of them?"

"I only asked to put garlic on one of them," Max retorted as he wiped grease from his face. I had a good feeling he made a last-minute change to the order so he could add extra garlic to all of them. There was the off chance the chef accidentally added it to all the pizzas.

"I'm gonna go." Sylvie gathered her things and left the apartment.

The other study buddies did the same. "Me too," Harun said. "The hospital has better food anyway. We'll see you and Carmen tomorrow."

As the remaining study buddies left the apartment, I took my mug of red stuff and headed to the balcony. Thank goodness for Carmen's garlic sensitivity. Once I liberated my nostrils of the garlic odour, I took a sip from my mug. It was too late when I realized that the red stuff was hot sauce and, thanks to my sensitive taste buds, my whole mouth was ready to breathe flames. I ran back into the kitchen and searched for the bottle in the fridge. After I examined the label closely, I saw the word "sriracha". Oh yes! Lucky for me Max was out disposing of the tainted pizza while I dealt with getting my face to not resemble a tomato.

Andthings have to come in threes, right?    

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another close call for Lena. Anyway, what's your favourite kind of pizza? Do you even like pizza? Will Max expose Lena as a vampire? You know the drill. 

Song featured: "One Way or Another" by Melissa Joan Hart (cover of Blondie song)

Edited: 30/09/2017