6.3. The Wolf Pack

Trigger warning for anyone who may not want to relive the experience of someone who's a bit too handsy. My post reading author's note may make this seem longer than it is.

So Talia set Zenia and Brendan up with a hiding spot. She advised the two not to appear in public together until Zenia's clan assumed them dead. Apparently they couldn't handle house arrest and claimed they drove the clan away. To celebrate, they invited Carmen and me to eat at the Tavern. I didn't want to go since it wasn't the end of the episode when I usually go, but what the Hell! I had no choice in the matter. So I sat at the table and drank nothing. I, however, had to put up with their sickening PDA. Carmen, who supposed to be on the wagon, was fighting every urge to order something alcoholic. Good thing Talia was a potions master. She made her the 'I Can't Believe It's Not Alcohol' elixir—enough to make you feel drunk without getting drunk.

"Zenia and I were thinking we could have our home in the Suburbs," Brendan said while cutting his steak into small pieces. "We found the perfect place that's not too ostentatious but also fit for her."

"One day, baby, we'll have a palace where we can live together," Zenia said, adding a giggle at the end of that.

Carmen said little other than drink her elixir. For the person who loves going out, she wasn't enjoying herself.

Neither was I.

The two lovebirds? They weren't being practical. "Sure, if you want to get caught."

And their moment soured, more or less for Zenia. "You don't have to rub it in our faces that you got away from your problems."

"That still doesn't mean living life as the main attraction. If I can recall, you took your high status literally. You'd dress like you were daughter of the clan chief even she got kicked out of her own parties. Not that she was the partying type. What else? You'd boss people into doing things for you, and if you didn't get your way you'd threatened them. Your opulent lifestyle will out you!"

"That's enough from you!" Brendan had to step in to defend her from my insults. Jeez, we've been doing it for over a century she didn't need someone to protect her from that.

"I'm not going to meddle with your relationship, Brendan, but—"

And before I could get my comeback argument or statement or whatever together, a pack — okay, it was three people — approached our table. It was obvious by the two guys and one girl they were the same shifters as Brendan as they sported similar tattoos and fur gauntlets. "Look who's here in town," taunted the guy that screamed alpha male. He had the muscles, the trendy hairstyle, the rugged beard, and the pungent stench of spray-on deodorant. Not sure what kind of ladies or men he was attracting, but he wasn't my type, werewolf or not. I learned he's bisexual a few days later. One can't assume all pack alpha males are straight, can they?

"I guess you owe me that hundred bucks then, cuz," the lone female said while leaning against Alpha Male. She appeared to be a teenager, or she was just petite. Maybe she was both.

He pulled out a folded banknote from his pocket and gave it to her. "Not a word to your parents, okay? They may let you run with my pack, but will have my skin if they learn you've set foot here for a split second."

The girl snatched the banknote and sauntered off to the bar.

Zenia was curious as I about the girl and had the guts to ask. "Is she ... how old?"

"She's legal, but her pack is part of a conservative movement. They want her to dress up in less revealing clothes and not hang out in places that serve alcohol. Heck, they don't even want her to shift at all since things can get frisky while in wolf form. So, Brendan, who's the lucky girl?"