87

Ethan and Travis talked about everything together. Crazy stories, favorite foods. Anything the boys could conjure, they talked about. They new each other inside and out, and every secret one had, the other shared. There were only two things that Ethan never talked about to Travis: family and time.

To start, his parents were always busy. Trips, business or not; they were never at home. From the day Ethan turned fourteen to today, his parents were always gone. His older sister visited when her college had breaks, but he would be lucky to see one of his family members a month. For the most part, he worked, and his parents paid taxes. It was still their house, after all.

His parents also happened to hate him, but that was a minor detail compared to the other things. Besides, it wasn't brought upon him. His parents married early in life, had Christine (his sister) and him, and decided that they did not want to stick with their kids eighteen years. They promised they would pay for college; besides that, Ethan was almost always alone at home.

Stage left: enter Travis.

Travis changed Ethan. First boyfriend, first relationship that had ever felt real. Travis matches almost every description of perfect, in Ethan's eyes. Pretty eyes, lovely smile. The list could go on, but there's one concept Travis does not understand:

time.

And Ethan, who is leaving for college to take early courses in less than a month, is running out of it.