92

unedited so it's trash
-slight homophobia-

•••

"Ethan, where the hell were you?"

Ethan had barely made it through the door of the Manques household before Travis yelled at him. At around four in the morning, he probably woke up the whole neighborhood.

"What do you mean?"
"You know what I mean. How was 'family bonding'?"
"Awful."
"How so?"

Ethan sighed.

"I-I came out to my mom."
"What? I thought she-"
"She is. It was forced."

Ethan was sitting at the dining table, moodily eating his food. His dad had set off on his trip early, and probably to avoid his old hag-of-a-wife. Ethan thought he had a secret wife in Singapore or something.

"Did you tell Travis I couldn't go over?"
"Yeah. He was asking about a homework question, though. Never mentioned going over for dinner."
"O-oh?"
"It's almost like you were using him as an excuse to not see us."
"I wasn't trying to."

Ethan's mom picked up her plate and brought it to the sink.

"What's up with you two? Don't see him enough at school?"
"I do, he's just-"
"You've hated going over to people's houses for all of your life. What made you change?"
"Mom, please-"
"Does he have a sister you like? Do you have a girlfriend?"
"-stop jumping to conclusions."
"Oh? I'm sorry. Let's chat, mother and son."
"What are we doing now? I'm tired of talking."

Ethan looked around to see if he could spot his phone.

"When I had your phone I looked in it and found some pretty interesting things. Care to tell me anything?"
"No, mom."
"Are you sure you aren't dating anyone?"

Ethan took a sip of water to delay his answer. Maybe he could just say yes and leave it at that.

"I am, but I don't care to tell you."
"Oh, why not? She's probably wonderful"
"She wouldn't like you."
"Ethan! What's her name?"
"Tr...is. Her name is Patricia, but I call her Tris."

Out of nowhere, Ethan's mom pulled out his phone and showed Travis's contact.

"It's funny how Travis's contact photo is a picture of you kissing him."

Ethan went bone pale.

"Now, do you care to tell me anything?"

"So I told her I was gay. She was livid."
"Oh, Ethan, I'm-"
"I have a week to move out. Apparently my dad felt the same way she did. I-"

Ethan looked away from Travis, tears welling up inside of his eyelids with no intention of spilling.

"I just need you to help."

Ethan broke.
The tears that wouldn't spill were streaming down his face. Travis let his lips part slightly in shock before taking Ethan by the hand and leading him to the couch. Both boys flopped down, and Travis started to whisper into Ethan's ear as sobs racked him.

"I'll help you. Please, please don't cry. I want to help, but I don't know how right now."
"J-just h-holding me would be a n-nice start."

And that's what he did until the sun rose the next day.

•••

hi everyone!! If you or someone you know knows about the English school system, hmu because I'm writing a report on it for school this week and I can't update this again until I finish it!

Also this week is standardized testing week for me so I won't be as active

Questions?

Comments?

Concerns?

Also my fan-ish Instagram is @calligratea so follow me if you want