Ⅱ.Ⅷ

→ "And so, I will take the breadsticks, and I shall leave."

I put the final touches on my hair and I was ready to go on this date.

I had already called Nissi, and asked her for advice and stuff. I haven't been on a date in like, a year and something? I don't know, sometime during my junior year of high school. So, I had like no experience what so ever, yet I was doing it.

Pacer texted and said he was on his way, and I became this blushing mess. I didn't know why, maybe it's because of what Kurt said, before. Not saying it again, just recalling it.

I slowly made my way downstairs, I wasn't in heels or anything. I had on boots with white jeans, which I accidentally packed, and a shirt I stole from Rosalie. Don't tell anyone, but I'm actually trying to have a good time on this date. 

It was Pacer,  he was all jokes and smiles. But after that little thing with my dad, I just want to have fun. I deserve it. I'm not gonna be here forever, I'll go back to school and whatever happened here will just go silently. Maybe we could be friends after.

I sat myself on the last stair, and played with my phone.

"He doesn't live that far, you can wait outside." Kurt let me know, as he passed by the stairs with a fully new bag of candy.

"Oh, thanks!" I yelled back at him, the entire sentence drowning in sarcasm. What was Kurt? A match maker or something?

I stayed where I was, I didn't need to move or anything. He'd text me if he was here or not. And so, I stayed my butt on the stairs and played with my phone. I had charged it when I was getting ready so it wasn't gonna die to me anytime soon. Thank the heavens.

I waited for what seemed to be five minutes, and I was beginning to think that I was being stood up. Until, right at the moment when I was about to tap out a message to him, the doorbell rung out.

I was nervous to say the least.

I gathered myself off the steps and answered the door. 

There he was in all his smiley-ness. He had on jeans and a nice shirt, just like me! He held out a single daisy in his hand, and he gave it to me.

"You all set?" He asked me simply, with a smile. He really was Dr.smiles.

"Yeah, let's go." I answered him, with a smile of my own.

...☎

I watched him descend down the steps and get into his car. I flashed him a wave as he watched me enter the house.

I thought dates would only last for like two hours. It was seven when we left and I'm just now coming back at twelve. That doctor knows how to hang!

I closed the door, to the best of my ability , silently and crept up the steps to my room. I had made it to the door, when I could hear my mother silently sobbing. What happened when I left? I know, I don't say it much but she is one of the strongest women in my life. What made her cry?

I changed course and opened her door, and there she was sitting in bed crying with tissues all on her bed. She looked like she had been crying for hours! Where were Iris and Kurt? Or Rose? 

She saw me instantly and tried to stop crying, but I climbed onto her bed and threw my arms around her. 

"Mom, what's wrong?" I asked quietly. Maybe Iris and Kurt were still here, but they hadn't heard her crying because they were sleeping. I doubt it, they know when dust moves through the pipe in this house.

"Nothing baby, I'm just a little emotional." She slurred her words.

This was looking a lot like that night. She was a little drunk, but it was wine. She had been crying before. Before she got angry. Before she started saying things.

"Thinking about your father." She says, alerting me to get out of the room. I was going to, my feet were already picking me up. I had realized my hold on her and was sitting at the edge of the bed. Then she went on, "And his bastardly self."

"Hey! Don't talk bad about my father!" I almost yelled at her, everyone in the house could definitely hear me now. "Not again."

"He's your favorite, I know. That's why you left me, like he did." She takes the cheap shot, and sits back into bed. "You and him were like two peas in a pod." She continues moving the tissue box that was in between us, and looking in the eye.

"Do you do this some nights? Think about him and get angry, because he left?" I asked and in response she let out sigh. Like I was supposed to know what was going on. Except I don't because she won't tell me and dad can't tell me either, because he's gone.

"Left? Anna, that's not even the half of it. Stay out of it." She jabbed and got up from the bed. I turned around to see where shows headed, she was at the door. Was she kicking me out?!

I angrily got up from the bed and walked right up to her. She was looking anywhere but me, being a coward. I was boiling, and she was gonna hear it tonight.

"And this is why he's my favorite." I grunt through my teeth, grabbing the door on my way out to slam it. Everyone was probably up already, who cares. I stormed to my room and slammed that door too.

What did she mean that's not even the half of it? I knew she thought he was cheating on her, but what else could she think he did? He's not even here to defend himself. And how could she say those things about the man she claims she loved? 

Where do those feelings go?

Maybe love wasn't what it used to be, or how it's told in stories.