Chapter 2

— Riley's P.O.V —

"What...? How could... how could you say this? After all we've been through, you- you're really just going to say you don't want me anymore?" Riley's sentence, perfectly constructed in his mind, was an entire line of broken shards held together with nothing more than hiccups and the remnants of his heart at this point. His hoodie was stained with tears, his mascara running more than he'd ever done in his life.

"Riley. Look at me. You don't understand." A set of clear blue eyes stared back at him, dark brown hair flowing in the air conditioning. His gentle voice did nothing towards masking the damage of the words he spoke, like putting a bandaid on a broken bone. "I just... I just don't feel anything towards you anymore, and after seeing you so comfortable with everyone, I don't think you feel the same as you used to towards me either."

"They're just friends, Andy. No one could ever be more comfortable with me than you. You meant the world to me, and you still do, so please, please don't do this. You don't have to. Give me some time, we can make this better again, we can go back to the way it was before." Riley grabbed hold of Andy's shirt, desperation clear in his voice. "And you're right. I don't understand. I don't understand why you... why this is all happening. Whatever it was that I did wrong, I can fix it. I can't live without you, so... please don't do this."

"Riley, you were meant to be mine. You were meant to only be mine. If you go ahead and be so nice to everyone, then doesn't that mean you don't want me anymore? You can't do this Riley. You can't go around tainting your pure beauty like this. I want nothing to do with impure people." Andy brushed off Riley's hands, softly cupping his face. "You were beautiful, but now you're not. You need to understand that, you need to understand that this is your fault. You were the one who became impure. You were the one who got rid of me."

"This is all my fault?" Riley's breath hitched. That was the cutting line. That possessiveness lingering in Andy's voice, that feeling of insubordination. It was too much, and whatever feeling Riley had previously had was now down the drain, buried deeper than the deepest of secrets. His desperation turned to anger, a storm brewing in his eyes. "This is all my fault?! No, it is not. It has never been my fault. This is all you, it's you who's acting so possessive. It's you, it's always been you."

Andy paused, taking his hands off Riley. "Maybe getting with Maddie was a good thing, after all. Don't be so aggressive, you're twisting your gorgeous face into something hideous. You aren't the Riley I thought I once knew anymore."

"Maddie...? What do you mean, Maddie?You were cheating on me? With my cousin...?" He positively died on the inside, the mechanics of his brain self destructing and taking down everything else with it. "You said you liked guys, though. What happened to that?"

"Gender means nothing to me. I only feel attraction towards the cleanest of people, the ones who are desperate for love, who would give up their lives for their partner. They crave it, Riley. They crave the possessiveness. I told you this way before we began dating, and clearly you didn't care enough to remember."

Andy pushed past Riley nonchalantly, as though none of that conversation had just happened. He walked out that door without so much as a single backwards glance, kicking the door closed. It didn't close all the way, however, leaving just the tiniest crack. Was it on purpose? Out of spite? Just to simply make Riley get up and close it?

It hurts everywhere, and Riley would've loved to just lie down and die, but the slightly open door bothered him more than his urge to commit right now. He stood up - with great difficulty, as his limbs wobbled and refused to cooperate - and tried to drag himself over to the door, but he barely made it a quarter of the way before he lost balance. It was only a little wobble, but that wobble was enough to make his head come into contact with the floor, and his thoughts blurring into nothingness.