Reprove #79

So, I was hoping for a good argument today. 

I was researching about "minimum wage" and "contractual employees",

and I've come across these articles, and the reactions from readers are just intense.

The most prominent reactions that I agree with and I would like to point out are the following:

1. Job-seekers lack the necessary skills for them to be made regular employees. Can we please admit this?

2. Contractualization of jobs (like sales lady, bagger, service crew) provides opportunity for others to be employed under that skill set. Imagine if a service crew is a regular position, once it's filled, you can't apply for it. The position is his until he resigns. In which case, less job opportunities to the rest of job-seekers.

3. Big companies who are reporting billions of revenue AND positive cash flow should at least increase the wages of their contractual workers, even if they don't want to make the positions regular. This would at least provide them savings, which they can use until they find the next job. Still not the best scenario, though.

Folks, not all revenues are in cash. 

4. High supply, low demand. What was the stat again? For every job vacancy, there are how many applicants? I'm not sure, but once I saw that the applicants to the same position is over 40 people. You eliminate the unqualified (see #1) and you have at least 5 to 8 remaining. It either becomes the best quality or the lowest quantity. Best quality - the person that fits the job the most. Lowest quantity - the person that would accept the lowest pay. Let's face it, some demands too much.

5. Imagine those 32 to 35 people who got eliminated in number 4. Most of them would probably be so disappointed and disheartened with the competition and the outcome, they might choose to simply apply for low-skilled jobs (which technically, they are overqualified for). These type of jobs are the ones covered mostly by contractualization. So again, high supply and low demand. One cannot demand to be paid P15,000 a month when there are 10-15 who are willing to be paid P10,000 and 20 more for just P8,000. 

In economic terms, the market dictates the price. We want the price (wage rate) to increase, but there are those who would still willingly allow employers to pay them low rates just to get the job. If we really want the rate to increase, all applicants must unite with the rate they would demand. (And this is what's unlikely to happen).

I ran out of arguments.

KJ to the next level.

#11212016/1130am/ged