Chapter 14: I didn't know

Chapter 14

-Katniss-

Why does Peeta always say that? Like I already don't feel bad enough, that I can't show him the same. I mean I want to, I just can't, I don't know if I'm ready.

I lean against a wall and slide down on the floor with my knees up to my chin.

What am I going to do?

Peeta deserves someone much better. He really does. And even though he says that he's broken as well, I'm much, much more broken than him. He doesn't get breakdowns at the sound of his dead family members. I do. He doesn't wake up half the District during the night, screaming until his throat starts to bleed. I do. He really deserves someone much better than me, so why would he want me? I really don't understand what's going on in his head sometimes, I really don't.

"Oh Peeta..." I mumble on my knees.

What am I going to do?

"Miss are you okay?"

I look up and see a woman. When she sees my face she starts to gape.

"Yes! I'm Katniss Everdeen! Let it go!" I snap.

The woman frown but smiles.

"Had much of these, huh?" She asks sitting down on the floor beside me.

"How'd you know?" I snap.

"Not hard to guess with everything on the news", she smiles.

"Whatever", I say.

She laughs.

"Well you can relax, I'm not one of those crazy people, I respect your private life", she says. "And I'm not the one to interrupt someone's private life either".

"Oh really?" I ask looking at her with one raised eyebrow.

"Really", she smiles.

I smile.

"I'm Felice", she says, handing me her hand.

"Hello Felice, I'm ... Well, you already know who I am", I say.

"Na-ah, I just know your name", she says slyly, which actually makes me laugh.

I like this Felice. She's pretty, she's nice, she's funny and she treats me like a normal human being.

"Why are you here though? You don't seem hurt", Felice asks.

I feel all the heat leave my face, as I become pale.

"Peeta ... He, he got hurt", I say, not wanting to explain any further.

She nods, not asking anymore. But she also seems fine, so what is she doing here.

"You?" I ask.

"Oh eh... My father, he's, he's dying", she says and my jaw drop.

"Oh no, I'm so sorry", I say. "Is there anything I can do?"

She seems to hesitate. Or... Uncomfortable.

"Well... There is one thing, but I don't want to ask that of you", she says.

Wait what?

"What is it?" I ask.

"Well, my father always wanted to meet you..." She begins but I just stand up.

If that's the only thing I can do, than I'm doing it. The man is dying and if he's dying wish is to meet me, he's going to meet me.

I mean, yeah I don't like all the attention, but this is something completely different. This is a dying man.