#28 The Absha Engagement

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

I know it's been more than a month since I last posted. I'm terribly sorry but since last month my life has become just hectic. This chapter may seem choppy and inconsistent considering I've written this in parts over the last month. But I'm happy with it.

I hope you'll enjoy it as well.

***
#28 The Absha Engagement

'The violet drapes! It'll make everything look grand and royal', Samar said with enthusiasm.

'First thing, it's purple. Second, too much for such a small and intimate ceremony! Peach it should be!' I argued with equal if not more excitement.

School had just closed today for Bakrid holidays and the whole family was assembled in the living hall for planning Di's engagement which would take place tomorrow. The Absha ship has officially begun preparations to set sail. Chachu and Phuppa and Dad had gone formally to Khushnuma with Di's proposal and they accepted it.

Time for joy and celebration in Ashiana!

'You always choose such boring colors. Just like your personality!' Samar commented earning a glare from me.

I was about to retort in kind when my Dad stepped up between us. 'Okay kids cut it out. Let's handle this the adult way and put it to a vote.' He said pushing us away from each other.

'Finally someone with some sense. We shouldn't have let these teens join the discussion in the first place,' Shoaib bhai taunted.

Samar and I finally came to terms on glaring at Bhai. A common enemy who was doing it simply to incite more drama.

'As if you are all grown up!' Chachu said smirking.

I gave Chachu a high five. He can always be counted on to tease his own son. Shoaib bhai whined like a baby.

'Okay okay, jokes aside. We need to clear this mess up before Ammi returns from her outing,' Dad interjected, trying get us all back to the ongoing discussion.

Dadi had gone out with Raziya Phuppi to visit some of her relatives. We were all tasked with finalizing all the preparations for tomorrow by the time she returned. The whole family had gathered in the living hall. A difference of opinion came up with the first item on agenda, the curtains and other upholstery.

'You're right Javed. Don't want to get skewered by Ammi. All in favor of Samar's choice raise your hands!' Chachu called out.

Chachi, Shoaib bhai, Irfan Phuppa and Faiz supported Samar. And Dad, Chachu, Samir and Sumi Phuppi cast their lot with me. Unfortunately Muhammed Phuppa was absent at the moment so we were tied.

'Tie breaker! Ayesha you decide quickly, purple or peach?' Samir declared before Samar and I could have a rematch.

Di cringed as the nonexistent spotlight fell on her. She looked between Samar and I a couple of times. Finally sighing she said, 'Peach. I'd rather it be subtle than loud.'

I grinned happily. After all, I knew Di well. Perhaps even better than her brother. More ammo to rub into his face. Cue devilish laughter in my head.

'That's great. Maybe we can change the cushion covers to red and violet to complement the curtains,' Chachi suggested.

There was agreement from everyone.

'Yeah it would brighten things up instead of making it all monotonous!' Sumi Phuppi agreed.