#61 Strange Feelings

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Hello dear people!

Because I felt insanely guilty about yesterday's little rant and because I want to write a bit before I go off for study break... Here's a short chapter.

***

#61 Strange Feelings

Lia’s wedding was finally over. The rukhsati was a tearful event, just as it always is at weddings. And as always I found myself thinking, why do girls have to leave? Of course there are perfectly logical answers for that and it’s not like we never visit or call or talk to our families ever again. But there’s something really tragic about that moment where you’re hugging your father for dear life and your mom. Then your father takes your hand and gives it to the husband. From that point on, all of your father’s responsibility towards you is over. It is that finalty I think which makes girls cry during their Nikah and Rukhsati.

And I was right of course. Shikha cried.

Yes, the start of married life is exciting, but it is also completely alien and new and you’re testing a ground that you’ve never walked on before. It’ll be rough sailing especially if like Lia and Di, you’ve never known your spouse before. You’re going to have to figure out this new person and at the same time try and be yourself around them which is so awkward. Oh my... Just thinking of it made me want to hide away and never get married. I’m comfortable in my life as it is.

Talha’s family had sent in Lia’s dress the day before. It was a beautiful pink gown, not over done and yet Lia looked every bit like a queen. And there was no need for much makeup as the twinkles in her eyes as she smiled happily and the rosy blush already made her look so adorable. Najwa and I were wearing gowns too. Hers in burgundy and mine in brown. When Talha’s arrival to the ladies side was announced we quickly donned our abayas over it and adjusted our hijab. Shikha had refused a gown, so she was in a crimson kurta.

Lia had latched on to my hand and she wasn’t letting go. So the three of us were stuck on the stage with her as her Prince Charming came in with ahem Samir, Hamdaan and Abrar Jiju along with another cousin of his. How sneaky of my brother, coming in with the groom to see his fiancé. I turned to look at Najwa and smirked as she caught sight of my dear brother and pushed Shikha to the front and hid behind her. Even Shikha was smiling at her antics. I would have laughed if Lia's grip on my hand wasn’t so tight.

“Lia honey, it’s your husband, stop killing my hand,” I bent down and spoke to her.

Easing her grip a bit she said, “I’m so sorry, it’s just...”

“I know I know, the whole jungle going wild in your stomach,” I grinned and she blushed again.

By then Talha had reached the stage and his mother and Lia's mother had also joined the entourage. As Lia kept blushing and gazed down at the very interesting floral arrangement on the edge of the stage, Talha approached us with a million dollar smile. His eyes were set on his bride. He couldn’t stop looking at her. Well, I don’t blame him, she’s gorgeous after all. He wore a navy blue suit and his tie was a pale pink one, matching his bride. I would have pointed it out to Najwa and teased Lia about it, but Ms Future Bhabhi was busy hiding from her future husband. I had a feeling Shikha's hand was also being squeezed to death.

“Assalamu alaikum,” Talha greeted his wife and I took the opportunity to pry my hand away from Lia's and slowly take a few steps back to give them their first moment as a couple together.

I caught Samir's eye and raised my brows at him in question. He gave me a sheepish smile as he stroked his beard. I gestured for him to lower his gaze as he tried to look at Najwa who was still hiding behind Shikha. He made a sad face. My jaw dropped. Would you look at that? Where is my sensible Samir and who is this imposter?