Chapter Fourteen: Nunarae's Time To Shine

The wormhole wasn't all that bad, but the landing was slightly rocky. I had to hug the wall again so I wouldn't completely be tumbling around and knocking over the couches. I had a massive headache afterwards.

Allura had fitted me with two daggers, and some new clothes more fit for travel, along with a bag and a belt to hold anything important. I saw that there were a few grenades clipped to the belt, which I found pretty foreboding.

I flipped one of the daggers in my hands. I was rusty at tricks like this, even simple ones, but that was due to my time in Zarkon's ship.

Even the mention of the name my throat turned sour.

I sheathed the two daggers when I saw the team approaching. They had that flashy armour on again, that seemed to match their lions.

"Are you sure that you want to do this, (Y/n)?" Hunk asked.

"That's like me asking you if you wanted to do cooking for a career." I muttered.

They didn't question me about it again.

"Alright, paladins. Like (Y/n) said, you'll need to watch how you behave with your lions." Allura announced, walking into the room.

"May I rephrase? Just behave yourselves entirely. Lance, no flirting. The girls here don't respect that." I added to the blue paladin, who slouched.

The others laughed at Lance's childish behaviour.

"Now, to your lions! (Y/n), who will you be riding with?" Allura asked me.

"I won't. I'll fly on my own." I said.

"Won't a dragon be–"

"Scary? No. They've seen me before." I cut Pidge's attempt at logic off. "Like I said, I know my way around."

"Okay. (Y/n), come with me. I'll bring you to a balcony so you can change. Paladins, go." Allura waved the five away, then walked purposefully from the room. I followed after her.

"Wait! Here, take this and put it in your ear. That way you can talk and listen to us." Pidge said, pressing an ear piece to my palm. I smiled and nodded in relief.

"Thank you." I said, placing it next to Nunarae. I wondered if they'd be able to hear her.

They all left, and I followed Allura to a large balcony at the very top of the palace/spaceship. I saw the land stretched out, rocky and dry. The lake was to our left, and sparked blue. I saw a small line of a forest in the far distance to the right. Before us, was just a vast expanse of wasteland, except for a distant cloud of smoke that rose through the blue sky, which worried me.

"(Y/n), do me a favour and watch them for me." Allura requested, tearing me from my thoughts. I grinned, and did a dramatic bow.

"Your wish is my command."

She rolled her eyes, laughing slightly. "Go."

I laughed, and jumped over the railing into a free fall. I turned into a dragon in a bright flash, and circled the palace, waiting for the lions.

I realized that I never saw the lions up close, and may I just say, a little over kill if you ask me. They were enormous! Like, dear gods please tone it down Alteans.

"I think I've got her online. (Y/n)?
(Y/n), do you copy?" Pidge asked through the earpiece.

"Hello, green paladin." Nunarae said.

There was a collective yelling sound from everyone, causing me to topple from the sky in surprise. I caught my balance and glared at the hovering pieces of metal that the five were in.

"Is-is that the goddess you were talking about?" Hunk asked.

"Why, yes it is. No worries, (Y/n) can hear you all. I'll be her voice." Nunarae explained.

So regal. So unlike you. I thought.

I felt a sharp spike that might've been the headache or Nunarae. I couldn't tell.

"Jeez, (Y/n), we just thought you were still loopy from the Galra." Keith said.

"She says she'd like to burn you to a crisp and of course she wasn't bloody lying." Nunarae recited from my thoughts. "Now, let's go. She sees some very ominous smoke in the distance."

I turned towards the enlarging cloud and made a growling sound, and they all turned to it. They sped forwards, forcing me to fly higher to a faster air current.