Maggie

I can hear them yelling. It's the same thing every morning. My mom, Lori, and her 25-year old boyfriend, Shane, are practically my alarm clock. They are always arguing. They are meant to be, and they deserve each other. I just wish they could argue just a bit quieter so that I can sleep some more. It's the first day of senior year. I'm not ready. I don't want to go. I hate going to school because I have to smile and laugh and pretend I'm fine. But I'm good at pretending.
I get out of bed and start dressing. I was supposed to buy new clothes for school, but I decided to buy my younger sister Beth clothes instead. She is 14. I do whatever I can for her. I want to try and give her anything she needs. My mom and Shane sure as hell won't. The only thing they like to spend money on is alcohol. Lots of alcohol. The only reason I don't run away and put up with my mom and Shane is for my sister Beth. I have to stay here and protect her. From both of them.
I put on my shoes, put my school bag on my shoulder, and go to the bathroom and brush my teeth.
"MAGGIE!" My mom shouted.
Oh, great. Here we go. I leave the bathroom and go into the living room, where I see my mom. Shane is sitting on the couch watching TV. I guess their argument is over for now.
"Yes, mom. I'm here, no need to shout." I say.
"Did you take the $100 bill from my purse!?" Mom yelled.
"No." I say back.
"I don't believe you!" She hisses.
"Mom, I didn't touch it! Why do you automatically think it was me? It could have been....." I look at Shane.
"Are you trying to accuse me you little shit?!" Shane yells. I know it was him, I've caught him stealing my mom's money before. But she never believes me whenever Shane's involved. Like when I try telling her that recently he has been looking at me in a way that makes me feel uncomfortable. She says I imagine it or just want to make him look bad.
"Maybe you should stop drinking all that alcohol, then you'll know what the hell is going on." I tell my mom. And then she slaps me. Hard. My right cheek hurts and stings now. I don't look at my mom, I just look down.
"Maggie?" I hear a small voice say.
It's my sister Beth. She must have walked in when I wasn't paying attention. Her hands are clutched on the back pack straps on her shoulders. She's wearing the new pink tank top and jeans I bought her.
"Beth, let's go. We don't want to be late for school."
We both start heading out the door and Shane starts yelling something at me again, but I don't know what since I slam the door and don't give him the chance to finish. It's freedom whenever I leave our house.
"Maggie, are you ok?" Beth asks once we are at the sidewalk, looking at me with those pretty blue eyes. Her long blonde hair is so bright in this sunlight.
"I'm fine. Don't worry about it." I answer.
"I hate that they treat you like this." She says.
"Beth, I don't want you to worry about me. It's ok. Is Noah going to wait for you at the front of the school?" Noah is Beth's best friend. And I think a bit more. He is her same age and is African American. I like him, he makes her happy.
Beth blushes and looks down, smiling a little. "Yeah, he is."
We talk and continue our way to school. I used to walk Beth to the bus stop to get her to her middle school. But today is her first day of high school, which means we now go to the same school.
We make it to the front of the school. Me and Beth see Noah there, waiting.
"Hey, Noah!" Beth says, waving at him. He sees us and waves back and starts making his way towards us.
"Hi, Beth. Hey, Maggie. You guys ready for another year at school?" He asks with a smile.
"No." Me and Beth say at the same time. We all start laughing and walk inside the school.
Alexandria High. Supposedly, it's one of the best high schools in Atlanta, Georgia. I just can't wait to turn 18 and graduate. Then I can leave that hell I call home. And take Beth with me.