Glenn

It's Sunday evening and I'm working. My boss, Daryl, gave me the address of someone who ordered a pizza to be delivered. As I'm driving, in the company car, I can recognize the street. And then when I pull up to the address Daryl gave me, I see that it's Maggie's house! I start smiling and grab the pizza and get out of the car. I can't wait to surprise her and see that smile of hers. I walk up to the door and knock. I can hear arguing inside. I guess I'm here at a bad time. Well, that can't be good, I think. A few seconds later, Maggie opens the door.
"Glenn?" She says, confused. But then she smiles. There it is. "I didn't know you work at Bob's Pizza!"
"I'm not stalking you or anything, I swear." I say laughing.
"I don't know, it kind of looks like you are." She says, giggling. I can still hear the arguing in the house, but I think they went to another room, because it's not as loud anymore.
"Hey, Maggie.....Is everything all right? I don't mean to sound nosy, but.....Are you ok?" I ask, frowning.
"Oh, yeah. Sorry about that. I'm.....ok. Everything's fine." She answers.
I start to ask something else, but then Maggie says, jokingly "So, are you going to give me my order, pizza boy?"
"Oh yeah, sorry." I say handing her the pizza.
"Thanks, let me get the money." She puts the pizza down on a table. I see a lady walk into the living room, she's smoking a cigarette.
Maggie reaches into her jeans pocket and takes out the money.
"Here you go. I also put in a tip." When she gives me the money, I can see a burn mark on her hand. A cigarette burn.
"Maggie, what happened to your hand?" I say, holding her hand in mine to check how bad the burn is.
She yanks her hand free and says, "Oh, it's nothing. I was just...cooking the other day and I got clumsy. I'm surprised I didn't burn the house down." She says, trying to laugh and hide the mark with her sleeve. I know she's lying. I see the lady smoking, she's sitting down on the couch now, watching TV. I get a feeling of anger in my stomach that I've never in my life felt before. A protective instinct is instantly born inside me.
"Maggie, if something is...." I start.
"No, really Glenn. It was an accident." She says before I can finish. "Thanks for your concern but you should get going, pizza boy." She says smiling. But this smile is different. It's broken. And her green eyes are tearing up just a little. I can tell she's trying her hardest to not cry.
What should I do? I don't want her to cry.
"Ok, before I go let me tell you a joke. I know you'll get it since you watch Game of Thrones. Here it goes. Why do the Lannisters have such big beds?" I say.
"Why?" She asks, her voice cracking from holding back her tears.
"Because they push two twins together to make a king." I say, smiling. It's funny because Jamie Lannister and Cersei Lannister are twins and they had King Joffrey. Dude, Game of Thrones is weird.
Then Maggie starts laughing. And it's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.
"That's a good one." She says, still laughing and wiping away her tears. She looks better, and I feel relieved.
"Thanks. I should go now. Please take care, Maggie. If you need anything, and I mean anything, you can call or text me." I say.
"Ok. Bye, Glenn." She says.
I get in my car and wave goodbye to Maggie. She waves back and goes inside her house. Then, I start driving back to work. I'm glad my shift is over, because I just want to go home already.
When I do finally get home, I go to my room. I'm feeling anxious. I need to be there for her.