Maggie

Since it's a hot day, me and Beth go out for ice cream at the park. It's Beth's birthday today, she's 15 now. I bought her a polaroid camera as a present. She got so excited. I love putting that sparkling smile on her face. Glenn dropped off two presents for her, before he had to go to work. One was from him and the other from Dale. Seriously, those two are like angels. I start smiling, which is what always happens when I think of Glenn. I'm happy when I think of him.
"Hey, Beth, you really need to stop growing. You're almost as tall as me now." I say.
"Sorry, I can't do nothing about that." She says, laughing.
"I miss that little Beth who used to come to my room at night because you thought there was a monster in your closet." I say.
"I used to say that was the reason I was scared?" She asks, confused.
"Yeah, don't you remember?" I say, laughing.
She thinks for a bit. "Oh, yeah. But I wasn't scared because I thought there was a monster. I was scared because....nevermind." She says, looking down.
"What?" I say, looking at her.
"I don't remember." She says.
"Yeah, you do. Tell me."
She stays quiet for a while, then says, "I used to have bad dreams. Of you and mom. She would be hurting you in my nightmare."
That stuns me into silence for a few minutes. Then, I look at Beth and say, "I'm not going to let her hurt me again. She can't slap or punch me anymore. I'm done with that."
"Good. She can't get away with that anymore." Beth says, seriously. And the expression on her face looks angry.
And I feel a surge of pride because that's the moment I know that my little Beth has grown up. And she's going to be a fierce woman.