Maggie

I'm discharged from the hospital today and I'm so glad to be out of there. Me, Beth, Glenn, and Dale go home.
"I promise we won't stay here for long. And Beth is already looking for a job." I say to Dale when we get to the house. Then I say, laughing, "She says she's already going to start saving up for an apartment of her own to move into when she's 18. She's planning on having a roommate. She's so organized already."
"Don't worry about it. Take the time that is necessary for you girls to get on your own two feet." Dale says, smiling.
Then Beth and Glenn come into the house carrying boxes of mine and Beth's belongings they packed.
"You and Beth can even pick your own rooms. Please know, this is home for you girls." Dale says, going outside to get more boxes.
"Good thing the house came fully furnished when my dad inherited it." Glenn says.
"Yeah. Just curious, how many free rooms are there?" I ask.
"Four. Two of them are downstairs and two of them are upstairs." Glenn says.
"Whoa." I say, surprised.
"Mine and my dad's are upstairs."
"I think me and Beth should get the two rooms downstairs. If that's ok." I say.
"Sure, that's fine. Let me help you get to one of them so that you can lay down and rest." He sets down the box he's holding and then stands by me and offers me his arm. "Just lean on me." He says.
I couldn't help myself, so I start singing,"You just call on me brother, when you need a hand. We all need somebody to lean on."
Glenn laughs and starts singing, too."I just might have a problem that you'll understand. We all need somebody to lean on."

I have a nightmare that night. It seems so realistic. Shane was in it. He was hurting me again. I could hear him yelling and laughing. The look in his eyes was frightening. I scream and wake up. I'm trembling and I realize I broke out in a cold sweat. I start crying silently.