Glenn

Me and my dad go hiking. We are walking uphill on a trail. It's a nice day outside, the weather isn't too hot or too cold.
"You sure you're not tired yet, old man?" I say, jokingly.
"No, of course not. I bet I can last longer than you, son. Remember that time we went hiking when you were little and you sprained your ankle?" My dad asks.
"Oh, yeah. Great times. I was living the dream." I say. He laughs.  A moment passes and there is only the sound of our footsteps and birds chirping.
"I wanted to ask you something. About Maggie and Beth." He says.
"What is it?" I say.
"How is their life at home?"
I stay quiet for a moment, and then say, "It's...complicated. It definitely could use improvement. Maggie says she can handle it, but....I'm just not sure. And I know she doesn't tell me the whole story, she's so stubborn."
"I kind of guessed something was wrong at her home, when her and Beth came over to our house on those holidays. It just shows how the relationship between them and their mother is." He says, sadly. And later he adds, "I'm glad I was able to give them a nice way to spend the holidays."
"They were very grateful for that. And thanks for doing that Dad." I say.
"I just want you and them to know you guys can count on me for anything." He says.
"I know, Dad. And so do they." I say. And then, I laugh and say, "They really like you."
"Well, can't say that I blame them. I am a joy to be around." He says, jokingly. And then he shoves me playfully with his shoulder.
I laugh and say, "I love you, Dad." And then I shove him back a little with my shoulder.
He says, "I love you, too. I mean, you're not horrible to be around."
And then, of course, I trip because my shoelaces got untied. Me and my dad started laughing. At least I didn't sprain my ankle this time.