Maggie

After dinner we all go outside and make a bonfire. We are sitting down roasting marshmallows. Everything feels so convivial. This is how families are supposed to be.
"Hey, Glenn? You should play your guitar for us." I say.
"Really?" Glenn asks.
"Yeah, come on, son. We need some music!" Dale says.
"Yeah, please, Glenn?" Beth asks.
"You did promise me, remember? Please?" I say, batting my eyelashes at him.
"Oh, all right." Glenn says, smiling. He gets up and goes to the house. A few moments later, he's back with his guitar.
"I'm just going to play the acoustic version of Demons by Imagine Dragons." He says, sitting down.
His fingers strum the strings and create magic. Pure, blissful music comes out of him. He's emanating a sound so beautiful, I close my eyes and sway a little to the music. I don't know how much time passes, but he finishes the song. And we all clap.

When it's time for me and Beth to go, Glenn asks me if he can have a moment with me alone. Beth says she'll wait for me in the car. Dale is already inside the house, getting ready for bed.
Glenn holds my hand and takes me to his backyard. There is a porchswing. We sit down, he still has his guitar with him.
"I know I already played the guitar, but I wanted to play a song special for you." He says.
"Oh, Glenn. I'd love to hear it." I say, smiling. I lean my head against his shoulder.
"Ok. Since you said you liked Bryan Adams, I wanted to play his song Heaven for you."
Then he starts playing the guitar and it is perfection.
The sounds are soft, peaceful, and soothing. Most of all it's the definition of romance. And then he does something I didn't expect. He starts singing the song. Since my head is resting on his shoulder, I can feel the vibrations of his wonderful, healing voice. It runs through me and I feel as though it's in my veins, becoming a part of me.

Baby, you're all that I want
When you're lyin' here in my arms
I'm findin' it hard to believe
We're in heaven

And love is all that I need
And I found it there in your heart
It isn't too hard to see
We're in heaven

Oh once in your life you find someone
Who will turn your world around
Bring you up when you're feelin' down

Yeah nothin' could change what you mean to me
Oh there's lots that I could say
But just hold me now
'Cause our love will light the way

When he finishes the song, I realize I have tears in my eyes. I look up at him, and then look him in the eyes. I need him. I adore him. I love him.
I kiss him and then hug him for a long time. And then I say, "I love you, Glenn. So much.
And then he says, "I love you more, Maggie."
It's the first time we said that to each other. And it makes the tears in my eyes begin to fall.