Maggie

On Thanksgiving, me and Beth are getting ready to go to Glenn's house. I'm alone in my room putting on makeup, when my mom comes in. The only time she talks to me is to bring trouble. I wish she'd just leave me alone.
"Where are you two going?" She asks, drinking from a bottle of liquor.
When I ignore her, she grabs my arm and says, angrily "I asked you a question!"
I yank my arm from her grasp."Me and Beth are going out for Thanksgiving. Why do you even care? It's not like we ever do anything for the holidays here."
"You're going to see that Asian boy, I'm not stupid." She says.
"His name is Glenn. And as a matter of fact I am." I answer, in an even tone.
"What did you do to ensnare that boy, you filthy girl." She asks, mocking me.
I go up to her and put my face inches from hers. And I say in a strong, clear voice. "Nothing you say hurts me anymore. It's stopped hurting a long time ago. You will not make me feel like trash." Where did that come from? Was that me?
The expression she gives me reminds me of the one Shane gave Glenn. Bewilderment and shock.
"Think your so strong now, huh?" She chuckles and then she staggers out of my room.
I sit down on my bed. I finally did it. I stood up to her. Glenn must have rubbed off on me. As I think that last thought, I smile. I'm going to be ok.