Chapter Three

•° Jeana °•

(Jeana & Tara pictured above)

"Tara! Tara!" I screamed down the hall.

"Yes ma."

"Go check the mail for me. I forgot to check it yesterday." I said as I made the two of us some lunch.

I heard Tara as she headed out the door for a few minutes before she came back inside.

"Here you go." She said as she handed me the mail.

I wiped my hands on a dish towel and took the mail from her. I flipped through all the bills and petty mail until I saw a letter addressed from Paula. It was clearly old because it had her office address on it and Paula hasn't been to the office in a whole month. I broke the seal of the envelope and pulled out its contents.

Inside was a letter.

Thank you for coming to Cali to handle business with me. I look forward to many properous years with you on my team.

-Paula Blew

I smiled at her appreciation. I folded the letter up and was about to close it until I saw another piece of paper. I pulled it out and instantly noticed that it was a check for twenty thousand dollars.

My eyes watered at the amount of money that was adressed to me. It was the biggest amount that had ever been attached to my name.

All I wanted to do was call Paula and thank her but I knew she wouldnt answer. I couldnt even enjoy my earnings because I was so worried about her.

I was in my room when the news dropped about what happened. Tara called me down stairs and when I saw Shawn and Shay's face across the tv screen. I fell to my knees. I knew Shay was going to reap what she sow, I told her that but I didnt expect for it to happen in the blink of an eye. I thought the talk we had that night in her house wouldve at least put some sense in her head. I guess I didnt preach to her enough..

Ever since then thats all Ive been thinking about. Paula is all Ive been worried about. Dont get me wrong, I love my sister deeply but you can only tell somebody so much. You just have to realize that they're gonna have to bump their heads just to learn better. Kind of like when your mama tell you not to do something that she had already done and know the outcome but you do it anyway to see for yourself and when you bump your head, you find out that she wasnt lying and you shoulve listened to her.

I had tried many times to call Paula but all it would do was ring and then send me to voicemail.. every..time. I even texted her on occassions but I still didnt get a reply. I was just hoping she was okay because nobody knew where she was.

I had even called her brother-in-law Greg this morning to see if he had heard anything but he didnt answer. He probably didnt know who it was.

I put the mail back into the envelope, folded it up and stuck it in my bra. I had a few things to do today and I didnt want to leave that kind of money laying around.

"Tara, you ready?" I asked as I packed up her lunch.

"Yeah but I dont know why you keep packing my lunch ma. Im in highschool."

"Because, I know you. You love coming home talking about what you didnt eat and how them folks can't cook."

She laughed.

"Yeah but its kind of babish, if you know what I'm saying."

"So what, you dont want me to pack your lunch?"

"I appreciate it but I'm getting to old for that."

"Ohhh okay." I responded. "Excuse me then."

"Just put it in the fridge, I'll eat it after I get home. Im always hungry after school."

"Aight."

"But thank you anyway."

"Your welcome baby." I said as I placed her lunch in the fridge.

"So ma what you got to do today? Are you still going to work without Mrs. Paula?"

"I dont know. I'm going to stop by her office though and see whats up."

"Oh."

"Why you asked?"

"No reason.. its just that ever since you came back from with Mrs. Paula, Ive seen a better side of you."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Your really getting yourself together."

I smiled at my daughter as she revealed how proud she was.

"Okay ms thang go get ready to meet that bus."

She grabbed her bag from the floor and threw it across her shoulder.

"Alright ma, see you later." She said as she walked out the door.

"Alright baby."

I cleaned up the mess that I made from making lunch after Tara left.

After I finished, I went up the stairs to find something to wear. I opened the closet and scanned through the clothes. I swear my selection was pitiful but I didnt care. Every dime that came to my house I spent on bills and Tara. I was fine as long as her closet was overflowing, I could think about me later.

I finally decided on what to wear pulling out a pair of jeans, a grey shirt and a pair of flats. I got dressed and ran my fingers through my hair to flip it to one side. As I picked up my dirty clothes from the floor, my phone began to ring.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Jeana, when you gone let me back in the house?"

"Chris, Im at a whole new chapter in my life and you aint benefiting me.

"Jeana.."

"Look, its better if we just see other people aight. You need to get yourself together just like I do. We have talked about this.."

beeeepp...beeeppp

I pulled the phone away from my ear.

"Look, Chris I got another call.. I gotta let you go.. literally."

I hung up the phone with Chris and answered the incoming call.

"Hello?"

"Did somebody call this number?" The deep voice said as it exscaped through the speakers of the phone.

I knew the voice. It was familar as it entered through my ear canals but it had been awhile since I heard it.

"Greg?" I asked.

"Yeah.. who is this?"

"Jeana..Shay's sister.." I responded.

His end was completly silent.

"Hello?"