Chapter Twenty

I stared down the barrel of a 9mm Smith and Wesson as I stood halfway out the bed, still clutching the sheets around my waist to cover my junk.

"Paula! Babe let me explain!"

I could see the intense fury burning through Paula's deep brown eyes as she held the gun firmly.

"There is nothing to explain Shawn!"

I stood in front of Shay as she tried to hide behind my wideness. I knew it wouldnt be long before she uncovered my secret.

Before I could get the thought out my mind, the exact same thing I was worried about rolled off her lips.

"Who is she? Show your face bitch!"

I could feel the bed slowly moving behind me as a trembling Shay moved slowly to reveal herself to Paula.

When Paula laid eyes on her bestfriend's face.. she lost it. I was lost for words. I didnt know what to say at that moment as I watched her express her feelings in full blown anger.

All I could think about was getting the situation under control before somebody got shot. Paula was so distracted by what was going on that I decided it was the perfect moment to try and grab the gun from her.

Without a second thought, I charged full force at Paula but she reacted like the speed of light.

The bullet from the 9mm crashed into my chest with an intense. I could feel it tearing through my skin and then my insides as it knocked me to the ground causing me to black out almost immedietly.

The crackling and a heavy sounding wind played through out the burning house. The smoke filling my lungs and burned my eyes as I tried to breathe in some fresh air but it was useless. Only the smell of gasoline feeding the fire was among us.

The sound of my screams filled the house as I coughed with an intense over and over again. I could feel the burning of the fire all over my body as I laid on the floor. I could've sworn my skin was melting off my body like a stick of butter as I screamed in agony. I knew there was no way I could die a painful death like this. Burning to death couldnt have been in God's plan for me.

I pulled myself together, the little ounce of me that I had left. I clutched on to the gun wound as I tried to apply some pressure until I made it out. My body felt like a ton of bricks as I tried to drag myself to the hallway and down the steps. I looked back from where I came and couldnt help but drag myself back into the room.

I tried my best to stand up, still tightly clutching on to my wound. I limped in moving as quickly as my body would let me but every move I made sent excruciating pain through my body.

I grabbed something very dear to me and Paula both. If I were to live through this.. I wanted this one thing to help us get everything back on track. I pulled it from the room and dragged it out into the hallway.

"Ahhhh!" I screamed in pain as I forced myself to continue to the steps. I had no choice but to keep moving. God forbid if I stopped for a quick rest and the whole ceiling came down.

I tugged one last time and made it to the steps. I took one deep breath and with everything inside of me, I drew my foot back and kicked it down the stairs. I had no time to watch it make it down to safety. I had to get down the stairs myself.

I tried holding on to the railing but the fire had heated it so much that it was impossible to touch.

I slid down the stairs as fast as I could, coughing and heaving so hard that I got off balance and found myself rolling to the bottom of the stairs beside our valuable.