Chapter Seventeen

°• Paula •°

De'Wayne and I sped up the highway as we headed back to his spot. We didnt say much the whole ride there but I could tell De'Wayne had a few things pressing on his mind.

After awhile of driving, we pulled up in the driveway of De'Wayne's home and got out.

He unlocked the door and we walked inside.

I placed my purse on the coffee table before I spoke.

"About that conversation we had on the phone earlier today.." I started.

"I apologize. I was out of line for what I did. You're a married woman and.."

"Was a married woman." I corrected.

I knew either way, kissing De'Wayne was wrong but damn.. it was the greatest feeling ever. I see why Shay was falling for this man. I guess the fact that he reminded me so much of Shawn, without the cheating, was the reason I was so drawn to him.. and this probably was the same reason for Shay.

However I did feel bad that he was totally blindsighted by the whole situation.

I felt him sit down beside me on the sofa as I was deep in my thoughts.

"Paula."

I looked up at him.

"I just appreciated the way you were willing to help me clear my name and the excitement of knowing I wasnt going to spend my life behind bars just took over me. I couldnt help myself."

I didnt respond.

"I hope they find out who killed your husband and Shay but Im glad I got them off my back."

"De'Wayne.. I gotta tell you something." I said inturrupting his celebration for one.

"Hold on." He said getting up to go get a bottle of liquor and two glasses.

I breathed in a deep breath to calm myself before he returned.

I watched as he returned to the living room with my old friend and placed him on the table. I hadnt had a glass of Jack since I left Miami, I thought to myself.

He filled the glasses up and returned his attention to me.

"What were you saying?"

"There's something I need to tell you."

"Whats up?"

"Well I dont know how you're going to take this but.. I know who killed Shawn and Shay. Which is one of the reasons why I couldnt let you go to jail."

"Why didnt you say anything earlier?"

"Let me explain.."

"Okay.."

"Shawn and Shay were having an affair."

"What?!"

"I found out how it all began through my brother-in-law Greg and Shay's sister Jeana. They knew before anyone."

De'Wayne sat with his head down as I spoke.

"Greg said it all started when he took Shawn out to a club that was having a singles night masquerade party or some shit..."

At that moment De'Wayne raised his head up like a bolt of lighting had ran through his body and he stared at me like all hell had broke loose.

"Yoooo you joking with me right now." He said still looking at me.

He jumped up from the sofa and began to pace the floor.

I looked up at him as my eyes followed his every move.