Chapter Thirteen

°• Jeana •°

The morning came and went as the hours flew by before we knew it. Tara was at school so Paula and I had the day and the house to ourselves.

As time passed I had cleaned and started cooking. Paula had came out the room for breakfast and to borrow the car to get a few things but other than that she was couped up in the room. I was concerned to say the least I mean she conversated with us earlier today with smiles and laughter but you never know how somebody really feels or is feeling on the inside.

I turned the oven down on low to let the food cook while I walked to the back of the house to Paula's room.

I knocked on the door lightly.

"Paula?"

nothing.

I called her name again.

"Paula, you good girl?"

Nothing.

I twisted the door knob to open the door but it was locked.

I was about to knock again when I heard my phone ringing from the front of the house.

I looked back at Paula's door before I jogged to the front to go answer it.

"Hello?"

"Whats up Jeana.?"

"Hey Greg."

"How's our girl?"

I knew Greg was refering to Paula when he said "our girl". I figured he was around someone who didnt need to know Paula was in town.

"She's alright.. I think."

"What you mean?"

"She came out the room earlier but she's been locked up in there since then."

"You probably need to make sure she's alright."

"I did. I tried knocking on the door but she didnt answer." I said as I walked to the back of the house again.

"Aight. I'll make my way over there."

"I dont wanna make it bigger than it is Greg. Imma try and handle it and I'll let you know if anything is out of the ordinary."

"Aight. You call me if anything gets out of hand."

"Will do."

I hung up the phone with Greg and knocked on Paula's door.

"Paula?"

I twisted the door knob and it tightened as I held it.

The door swung opened and I walked in.

"I been calling you, you didnt hear me?"

"I was in the Shower Jeana."

I felt like I was talking to a stubborn teenager as I spoke to Paula like she was my child.

"I dont want you to feel like you're a child in my home Paula but I need to make sure you're straight. I was knocking on the door and when you didnt answer, the first thing that popped in my head was the worst situation possible."

"I apologize Jeana. I shouldve said something but I'm not a danger to myself."

"We dont know that. I've seen people take their lives after they go through the situations you've endured."

"Well Im not gonna kill myself Jeana. The lives needed to be taken are gone." She said as she sat down on the edge of her bed.

I looked at her and didnt say a word.