Chapter 45

Han was drifting in an out of consciousness, his wound throbbing as much as his head from loss of blood. Plasma and painkillers were being fed into his arm to stabilise him and he had just been given a sedative to ease his travel to Thyfeera and the bacta tank. He'd never been in one before; always let his injuries heal by themselves, but this time he couldn't argue. His internal organs were in bad shape.

Despite his fugue state, he had seen enough of the last few minutes to thoroughly understand what the twins were capable of. He can't have been the only one to see it. They were difficult to make out in the centre of the whirling dust and bits of vegetation but, when the tie-fighters loosed their deadly weaponry and the light erupted from both their bodies, blackening the rest of the sky and giving the impression of a huge dome over the settlement, he saw them clearly. They clung on to each other like they would soon be ripped apart, Luke's robes flapping in the strong wind, his mechanical arm gripping Leia's jumpsuit in protection.

He saw their power and it scared him. He loved Leia more than his own life and had never been in any doubt that she was special, but he could understand why connecting with this frightened her as much as it did him, if not more. She was living with the potential for incredible power, knowing how much harm she could do with it as well as good.

He felt light headed, the effects of the sedative starting to influence his body as he watched Leia and Luke walk back towards them, an argument ensuing between them. He expected Luke was arguing his training point again. They had saved thousands of lives today because she had put aside her fear and done what was necessary. She would play it down, though. He was certain of that; would brush it off like it hadn't happened.

She came over to the medical hover-sled he was now comfortably tucked into. He tried to focus on her smiling face, wished he could hold her.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, looking at the medic for a reply as she didn't expect he was capable. The medic said something incoherent to her, which she seemed to understand and she looked back at him. He gripped her arm and pulled her to him.

"I saw what you did. You were amazing," he slurred.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she smiled back. There was the cover up, just as he thought.

"I saw you. Like in your ceremony. I love you." He drifted, trying hard to stay conscious. His vision blurred and she was disappearing from view. She patted his chest and giggled at his intoxication.

"You have no idea what you saw. You've had a sedative. Go to sleep and I'll see you soon." She kissed his lips and waved at the medics to take him away. He shut his eyes briefly to let the kiss linger and then, she was gone.