Entry # 25: Here's to the Man

Here’s to the man I love, to the man I miss, and to the man I am most proud of.

Remember when you taught me how to love?

You didn’t really teach me how, but I learned that from you. You showed me how much you love me and how much you care. I am that kind of girl who follows what she sees and what she feels.

Remember when you taught me how to fight?

You gave me so many reasons to learn how to. You said that everything I want, everything I love, and everything I need is worth fighting for. I am that kind of girl who follows what she was told.

Remember when you taught me how to be strong?

You said that a strong woman is invincible. You said that I will be strong eventually when the time comes that I won’t have any choice at all. I am that kind of girl who listens to what she was told.

Remember when you said we’ll overcome our problems together?

I always have you at my back, I know that. I’m aware that you’re always there when I need you. I know that you’ll never let me suffer on my own. You’re always there, I know it. I’ll always will.

Remember when you said that you’ll be my escort on my 18th birthday?

I’m always dreaming of you and me having our very first dance together. I’m always picturing you wearing your favorite suit and tie, giving me pink roses, and as I reach for it, I can feel the tresses of my hair falling softly on my back. I’m always imagining the spotlight on us; my right hand holding yours, my left hand on the top of your shoulder, our feet swaying with the song Isn’t She Lovely.

Remember when you said you’ll never leave me?

I know that’s impossible. I know that nothing is permanent. I know that you’ll leave me after some time. Yeah, I should’ve known. I should’ve never been complacent in the first place. You know it’s hard. It’s really hard to be left by you.

You should’ve waited for me to turn 18. You could’ve dance with me on one of the most special day of my life. You could’ve witness how I fight back. You could’ve witness how strong I am. You could’ve seen me learning what you taught me. You could’ve seen me living in your words. You could have…seen me grow.

I know someday we’ll meet again. Even in a different world, you’re still the one I call ‘my man’.

You’re memory will stay forever in our hearts. I know you’re peaceful now up there with Him.

Now, here’s to the man…to the man who brought me to life. You are missed, Papa.