Entry # 38: She

"Daddy! Daddy! Mommy already left for work! Wake up! Tell me more about the woman you've been talking about, please!"

The voice of my adorable child awakened me from my deep slumber. Her hazel brown eyes caught my attention the moment I opened my eyes. They always remind me of my first love, the woman I still love up until the present.

"But darling, it's too early for sto--"

"But Daddy!"

I sighed in disbelief. My child, Arianna, did inherit her stubbornness.

"Okay. Okay. Where do you want me to start the story?"

I saw how delight was formed in the eyes of my daughter. She always gets excited when I tell her stories about her. She sat on my bed as her eyes were locked into mine.

"The beginning of everything, Daddy."

My eyes narrowed after hearing what Arianna said. The beginning of everything? Probably the time where I don't exist yet.

"She came from the family of engineers. Everybody expected her to take up Engineering in college but she took up Medicine."

Arianna frowned after hearing what I've said, "Why?"

"Her best friend begged for it. She was madly in love with her best friend."

Minutes of silence have passed after I told her the reason why.

"She gave her everything to her best friend, thinking one day he'll love her the way she loved him. But, that never happened. She conceived a baby boy when she was 19. Her parents disowned her, her best friend left her. Life has been harsh for her. She had to quit college to work."

"She was my first teacher; she taught me the simple ABCs and 123s. She was first supporter; she made an absent on her work just to watch me portray my role in a stage play. She was my first hero, she made everything possible. She was my first love--"

I wasn't able to continue because Arianna envelop me into a hug. And there, I caught myself crying over it.

"She was there when I flunked my Physics class. She stayed up late just to wait for me to come home. She was disappointed when I brought your mom home. She cried a river when she found out your mom was pregnant with you. She told me she doesn't want me to suffer like she did. But you know what? I got mad at her! I left her. I left her just like what everyone did."

"She was diagnosed with Cancer while I'm living my life with your mother. She waited for me outside our house everyday of her life. She even called my name before she died. It's too late now Arianna, I already lost my mother, your grandma."

I heard Arianna’s sobs; she hugged me tight, never letting me go. We cried our hearts out until she dozed off to sleep.

She was the one who brought me to life. She, my mother, I just took her for granted, and it's a little too late to tell her I love her now.