The Agreement

A one shot where Harry and Louis promise they'll get together if they go 10 years without finding someone else. 

~_~_~

February 2, 2010

"I'm gonna be single forever, aren't I?" Harry had been complaining all afternoon about being single to his best friend Louis. Both were LGBT so the pair knew how hard it was to find someone that matched the criteria they needed to meet. Harry's standards were ridiculously high and the guys in his town (not even taking the gay guys at that, just every guy) hardly met up to his expectations. Louis, however, was a lot more chill about who he dated. 

"Stop mopping. If you want a guy so bad lower your expectation to get one. Nobody is forcing you to stay single," Louis points out. They were sitting on Harry's bed talking about the future. They had started off mostly joking, but after a while it started drifting into kids and families and not just joking stuff like if teachers were gonna be robots or if Harry could have laser in his eyes. 

"I just don't want to end up being the one friend that never ends up marrying someone," Harry sighs. Harry had just turned 20 so Louis wasn't quite sure why he was getting all bent out of shape over something that probable wouldn't happen. 

"How about this, in 10 years if we're both still single we'll marry each other," Louis suggests. Louis had meant it mostly as a joke, but Harry had seemed to take him seriously. He propped himself up on his elbows and gave Louis his crazy idea look. 

"That's great! We're going it! Shake on it," Harry sticks out his hand. Louis rolls his eyes, knowing it would never happen anyway before taking Harry's hand and shaking it. 

~_~_~

January 30, 2020

After getting his degree Louis moved across the country. This made it hard for Louis and Harry to talk to each other much and only really talked when the other thought about it. Louis had gone on a few dates, but nothing serious. Louis was way too focused on his job to take the time to build a relationship with someone. 

After Harry walked across the stage he stayed in his home town, not wanting to leave everything he knew behind. He was able to find a stable job and was finally starting to settle down. Of course it was always a looming fact that Harry was single. His mother liked to point it out whenever they were together, which bothered Harry a little bit, but he didn't let it get to him. 

Harry was scrolling through Facebook when he stumbled upon his suggested friends list. The first one was Louis Tomlinson. Harry felt a tug on his memories as he remembers his old best friend. He decided to click the friend button because it would be nice to catch up at some point. 

Harry's request was immediately approved and a message popped up in his messenger. 

Louis: Hey! It's been so long! 

Harry: Yea, it has been. We should get together at some point. 

Louis: That would be great actually! 

Harry: Are you coming home at any point soon? 

Louis: I am home. My mom had a nasty fall and I'm staying with her while she's going through therapy. I'd love to get coffee with you at some point. 

Harry: Are you free tomorrow? 

Louis: Yeah. Is 2 good for you? 

Harry: That sounds great! I'm assuming we'll be going to our usual? 

Louis: You know me so well :D