Sky-Blue

Edward's green eyes glance over the rows of nail polishes. He wants to reach forward and grab one, but his hand is frozen in place. He's been dying for the sky-blue polish since he first laid eyes on it nearly two weeks ago."Just get the polish, I can tell you want it," Gemma says. Edward turns to his older sister, Gemma, and frowns. He waits a second, making sure that it isn't a joke and that she wouldn't laugh at him. Edward hesitantly reaches forward and grabs the sky-blue polish. The blue, he realizes, that's as blue as his best friend's eyes. William (Will for short) is Edward's only friend. Will is two years older than him, which caused for some awkwardness between the two in the beginning, but now they were inseparable. Edward can imagine Will's smile and swears he can hear the older boy's angelic laugh. Besides the older boy's eyes, Edward's favorite thing about him was his laugh. Will's facial features look like they're molded from the gods and Edward melts thinking about it. Edward's slightly more confident when he returns home, the nail polish in hand. He walks into the bathroom and catches a quick glance of himself in the mirror. His hair is long and tumbles down his shoulders in chocolate ringlets. Edward's eyebrows are neat and he has smooth skin. He's always been a more feminine person, so he doesn't expect for anyone to be surprised if goes to school in the nail polish. However, his heart is still pounding at the thought. "Want me to do it for you?" Edward turns and smiles as he sees his sister. Edward nods and passes the polish to Gemma. Edwards watches as Gemma opens the new bottle and glides the pain effortlessly across his plain nails. His sister applies two thin coats of the polish and smiles when she's done. Edward glances down at his finished nails a moment later. He's pleased with how it looks and thanks his sister quickly. Gemma shrugs and pulls out her phone. Edward hears the familiar sound of texting as his sister leaves the small bathroom. The following morning Edward finds himself at school. Anxiety eats at him as he approaches the entrance of the building. His sky-blue nails are on full display as he opens the doors to the school and slowly steps inside. His stomach drops as he feels people's eyes on him. Will stands at the entrance of the building. Edward frowns as he sees his friend and prays Will's reaction is positive. Edward's emerald eyes glance across his closest friends, waiting for his reaction. His frown slowly transforms into a smile as William lifts his hand and waves Edward over. "Hey Eddie! Gemma said you were painting your nails and I decided to join you! Look, I got green and you have blue!" Edward's heart leaps as he sees the emerald paint on his best friend's fingers. The green color stains the sides of Will's nails and gaps are evident in his work. However, Edward couldn't care less. All the anxiety that has built up in the younger boy slowly disappears. "Ready to get to class?" Edward nods and joins Will's side as they start to class. Both boys' nails proudly on display as they walk down the crowded hallway.