6.

Mark's POV

I sat under the tree, smiling as I ate my lunch.

Ethan was animatedly taking about his gymnastics class he takes after school. His eyes were bright and he had a huge grin on his face as he spoke. I listened closely and tried to take in as much as I could.

"And I just can't wait to perform it!" He squealed. "That's cool." I nodded. "Anyways, what kind of stuff do you like to do for fun?" He asked, still excited. "Um. Well," I rubbed the back of my neck, "I like to play video games." Ethan's smile grew.

"Really? What games do you like to play? I really love this one called Raft! Have you ever played it?" I smiled at his questions. "I haven't, but maybe I'll check it out. What's the scariest the game?" Ethan thought for a moment.

"There's this one called the Dolls that's pretty scary, but I'm afraid of dolls and stuff anyway." He commented shyly. "I think one of the top contenders for me is Five Nights at Freddy's." I said. He nodded. "That one is pretty scary."

We continued talking about video games for a while before Ethan suddenly changed the subject.

"Hey when should we work on our language arts assignment? It's almost been the entire school week and we haven't really done anything." I thought for a moment. "What day is it today?" I asked. "Thursday." He answered.

"Kristen works late on Fridays. Want to come over?" He smiled.

"Sure! What time?" I took a breath. "I usually walk home from school, so if you want you can just come home with me. That way we can have as much time as possible." Ethan nodded. "That sounds like a good plan." I felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

Tyler

Where are you?!

With Ethan

Why? He's kind of weird...

And childish

What do you mean?

His girlfriend packs his lunch for him?

She's not his girlfriend

At least I don't think so

Whatever. Where are you sitting tomorrow?

Uh...

I hadn't thought about it yet.

With us?

Idk.

I put my phone on do not disturb, shoving it back in my pocket. "You okay Mark?" I looked at Ethan, his eyes full of concern.

"Yeah."

Ethan's POV

"Hey Delilah?" I looked over at her. "What's up?" She said without looking up from her homework.

"This might be a sensitive topic but why did you lie about being depressed for so long?" I stared at my lap, not wanting to meet her eye.

"I guess I just didn't want to be a bother. I didn't feel like my problems were as bad as everyone else's so I didn't complain." She sighed. I felt her look at me. "Why do you ask?" I kept my eyes on my lap.

"Still want to sit under the tree tomorrow?"

"You sure?"

"I mean, I understand if you'd rather sit by yourself."

I felt a lump start to make its way up my throat, my heart clenching.

"Ethan?" Delilah put her hand on my shoulder, pulling me out of my thoughts. "You okay?"

I could lie and say it's nothing, or I could be honest and tell her about Mark.

What would Mark rather you do?

I took a deep breath. "I'm worried about a...friend." Delilah nodded, not asking anything else.

I guess she wouldn't want anyone asking about her...so she won't ask about this "friend."

"By the way," I started, remembering my plans for tomorrow evening, "I'm gonna hang out with Mark tomorrow after school." She smiled at me. "Have fun. Wear protection." My face went bright red.

"Nonononono we're just working on the language arts project." I stuttered. Delilah's never made a comment like that before...

"Okie dokie. Hey, maybe he can help you catch up on school work too. Get your grades up." She thought aloud. I nodded. "How long do you think you're going to stay?" She asked.

"I'm not sure. I'll text him."

Mark's POV

I was pleasantly surprised to see a text from Ethan.

Ethan

Hey how long do you think we'll be working?

Um idk

I mean I'm usually on my own for dinner on Fridays so if you want you can stay for dinner

That sounds great! :D

I smiled at my phone.

I'm having a friend over for dinner.

I went to the kitchen, checking to make sure Kristen wasn't in there already. I opened the fridge. There was a shit ton of beer, some leftovers from earlier this week, and some ice cream. I guess we can order pizza tomorrow night.

I walked back up to my room, making sure the house looked decent. Fortunately, it was. I climbed the stairs quietly. I looked out the window once I got to my room. Kristen's car wasn't in the driveway yet.

Maybe she's still at work or something...

Or maybe she's at some bar drinking her stupid ass off.

I shook my head, not wanting to dwell on bad thoughts for too long. The bottom drawer was still closed, and it's going to stay that way for as long as possible. Or forever.

But we both know that's just the best case scenario.