20.

Ethan's POV

As soon as I got to my locker after first period I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and someone's head on my shoulder.

It was Mark.

"Mark? Are you okay?" I asked immediately. He dropped his arms and stood up. I turned to face him. I could tell immediately that he hadn't slept well.

"What happened?" I asked. He sighed. "Amy broke up with me."

At first I was a little excited. Could he be mine now that he and Amy were through?

Then I remembered that he looked like hell.

"Mark...I'm so sorry." I whispered. He shrugged. "It's not a big deal. I didn't like her that much anyway." He smiled weakly.

"Come on, let's go to language arts."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're sure you're okay?" I asked again on the way to lunch.

Mark had been extra quiet during language arts and he didn't seem to be focusing either.

"Yeah I'm fine." He responded nonchalantly. I didn't believe him one bit.

So I asked Bob and Wade before he sat down at lunch.

"I don't think he's ever been depressed or anything." Wade said. "Then again, Mark doesn't exactly enjoy being in the spotlight."

We didn't get to talk about it much though, because Mark sat down soon after I brought it up.

"Tyler sent me a picture of a giant blue bear near the hotel they're staying at." He said, displaying the image on his phone for us to see. "He said that they're gonna be heading home tomorrow."

Mark seemed better now.

But how long is that going to last?

At least tomorrow's Friday, and then Saturday Mark will be at the home with me and Delilah.

He'll be safe.

The conversation continued at the table as we ate. Eventually, I pulled out Delilah's quote of the day.

"This is not a quote but a command. I don't care if you love Mark or if you're over him but you need to listen to me, you have to pay attention. Notice when his eyes get dull and when he only smiles with half his heart. Help him. Show him you care."

I reread the slip of paper over and over. She was right.

I noticed Mark had gotten quiet while Bob and Wade were still talking and slowly led my hand under the table next to his.

With every ounce of courage I had, I slid my hand into his.

He didn't look down at our hands, or reject the contact, but I noticed a small smile spread across his face.