7.

Mark's POV

I laid in my bed. I didn't want to go to school today. I wanted to press fast-forward to when Ethan and I were hanging out and working on our project. That's all I wanted to do.

But you still have to do work.

Why would you be excited about that?

I guess because I'll be hanging out with Ethan. Even though I don't know him very well, I already consider him one of my best friends.

I forced myself to swing my legs over the side of my bed and stand up. My eyes went fuzzy for a minute from laying down so long. I steady myself and rubbed my eyes.

"MARK." Kristen's voice stabbed through the walls suddenly. I cringed. She's up.

Shit.

I reluctantly went down stairs to face my doom.

"Why the fuck aren't you at school young man?" She asked, leaning against the kitchen counter. Her long, manicured nails tapped against the granite slowly and rhythmically. The bright orange color was sickening. "Well?" She snapped.

"I just woke up late." I grumbled. "School doesn't start for another hour." I stared at her shoes, not wanting to meet her piercing gaze. "Look at me when I'm talking to you." She sneered. I lifted my gaze slowly.

Her ginger hair was askew, her dark brown eyes were bloodshot and had bags under them.

So she did spend the night drinking.

"You better get dressed and get your ass to school or you're grounded. Do you hear me young man?" She yelled. I nodded solemnly before turning and quickly going back upstairs to change. I grabbed my back pack and went back to the kitchen.

"What are you still doing here? GO!" She barked. "I-I just wanted to know if you were going to work late tonight." I said quietly.

"Of course I am. Why would I want to be here?" She spat.

Ethan's POV

I breathed in and out very slowly. My eyes were closed and I had my head down on the desk. I wasn't tired, but the bright florescent lights in the classroom caused an ache in my head.

"Hey Ethan are you okay?" I lifted my head to see Mark standing beside my desk.

The day was going by surprisingly slow. It seemed like hours before I got to language arts. Every minute felt like days.

I just wanna go to lunch...

"Yeah I'm fine. Just tired." I lied. It was easier than saying anything else. Mark nodded.

"I feel you." He scratched the back of his head. "Can I sit with you again at lunch today?" I smiled up at him. "Of course! You can sit with me anytime, Mark. You don't have to ask." I said. Mark blushed slightly.

"You sure? I don't want to be a bother." I felt my heart clench. I forced a smile. "Nope! You're fine." I said. Mark smiled a little.

"Okay. Just-if you need a break from me or something let me know."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark and I walked in silence on the way to his house. I was still thinking about everything that's been said in the past week.

I could tell that something was wrong, but what?

And is this really just an isolated incident or something...worse?

How would I even bring it up without sounding nosey?

"Hey, Ethan, if I seem off or anything it's because my boyfriend broke up with me." Mark blurted suddenly.

Wait-what?