28.

Mark's POV

Wednesday

"Why wait until Friday? We know our little friend is right where it's always been, let's do it tonight!"

No, Dark.

"You know they all hate you right? They're just hanging out with you to be nice."

That's not true Dark.

"Speaking of hanging-"

NO DARK

And so it went. I fought Dark the entire day. Ethan had held my hand again at lunch, which made Dark shut up for a little while, but he would come back as soon as Ethan would let go.

I came home tired. I opened the fridge and saw nothing but beer.

"Fuck it." I grumbled, grabbing a bottle and opening it.

Buzz buzz.

Ethan

Hey Mark

I can't talk right now Ethan.

I ran up to my room, shutting the door behind me. I sat the beer on my desk and started doing my homework.

It seemed like hours past before my door slammed open.

"Drinking underage is against the law Mark."

Kristen.

"I didn't hear you come home." I said.

I couldn't take emotions anymore. They didn't do me any good. No matter how much I cried or tried to fight back, the punches and kicks wouldn't stop coming.

"Maybe next time you'll think before you steal." Kristen hissed when she was finally finished.

That was the last thing I heard before passing out, only to wake up at 11:10.

And then, 11:11.

I was tired.

I was done with emotions.

I had been beaten, once again, by my drunken mother.

Dark would not shut up.

And yet all I wanted was Ethan to come comfort me.

I wanted Ethan Nestor to come hold my fucking hand and stare at me with his beautiful multicolored eyes and tell me it was going to be okay.

So I called him.

"Mark?"

"Hey Ethan, I couldn't sleep so I was wondering if you could talk for a bit." I bit my lip while waiting for him to respond from the other end of the phone.

"Of course! I was just finishing up homework for tonight. By the way, should we work on our project tomorrow during study hall?"

I nodded, even though I knew he couldn't see me.

"Yeah, that'd probably be best." I murmured, picking up my almost empty beer bottle to take another sip.

"Great! So anyway, what'd you think about that giant blue bear statue in Colorado that Tyler showed us?"

"I thought it was pretty cool, I wonder what it's there for." I replied.

We continued talking until almost two in the morning, when we had both gotten tired.

"Well, goodnight Mark. I'll see you at school!" I smiled.

"Goodnight Ethan."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday

"Ethan really is too nice to you. You don't deserve it." Dark shook his head.

"Maybe not, but that doesn't mean I deserve to die." I hissed back.

"But maybe you should anyway. I'd be a lot easier."

"Maybe, that way your sorry existence would finally be over." I retorted.

I knew he didn't care though. He just wanted me to die, no matter the repercussions.

I picked up the beer bottle sitting next to my computer and downed it.

It really does help make Dark shut up...

I realized I was about to be late for school and grabbed my backpack to head out the door.

The day was filled with too many notes, and I was anxious for lunch.

I want to see Ethan.

I need to see Ethan.

Ethan smiled when he saw me, his beautiful eyes lighting up a little as he did.

He wasted no time intertwining our hands as we walked down the hall to the lunch room.

I loved it.

He held my hand the whole time during study hall too, smiling slightly at me whenever our eyes met.

With Ethan around, I don't need beer.

And that's when I knew.

I'm in love with Ethan Nestor.