Chapter 1 - Meet Maya Sandhu.

"Maya come on you're going to be late for your plane!" My brother, Ricky, yelled from downstairs.

Today, I was moving from a small town in England, to a big city in India, all by myself. I signed up for a job in Mumbai, to do with cricket, but I never thought I'd even get the job, because 1, I'm a girl, 2, I'm not even from that country, well, Punjabi, but not born there.

They must have saw something in me that made them choose me. In all honesty, cricket was my life. I lived for cricket. It was my only passion.

Every other girl I knew dreamt of living in a big house, with a perfect husband, with 4 kids, but I didn't. I dreamt of playing cricket for my country, ever since I was a little kid, but I was involved in a car accident 4 years ago, and since then, I've never been able to play the same way I did before. The doctors told me I couldn't play cricket professionally ever again, and I'd never been more depressed in my life.

My family did approve of cricket, except for my father. He was supportive obviously, but he told me I'd get over cricket soon, and he told me to settle down with a husband, and get a regular 9 to 5 job at an office. He gave me a year, and if cricket didn't go well for me, then a 9-5 job it was. Fortunately, I got scouted for the national team.

A 9-5 job, a husband, settling down. If I never got scouted, that's what would have happened. That didn't excite me, and I didn't care about all this marriage stuff, until a guy came into my life. He stole my heart and he broke it and I don't trust any man with it now.

"Mayaaaaa!" I heard my brother call again. I groaned, and forced myself to get out of bed. I went to my en-suite bathroom, and had a long shower, and left its natural curls as they were. Then, I chose my plane outfit, which was some leggings, and a blue top. I quickly applied a tiny amount of makeup, and when I was satisfied with my look, I went downstairs.

My mother had told me yesterday, that my dad's brother, his wife and his kids were coming over today to see me off. We were super close, and they lived a minute away from us, so it didn't surprise me that they were coming over. When I entered the living room, like she said, they were sitting on the sofa.

"Here she is!" My mom said proudly. "My baby girl going all the way to my home country for a job huh?!"  She smiled.

"What are you even working as or for or whatever?" My cousin, Taran, asked blankly.

"Cricket." I smirked at him.

"What, the crappy women's team?" He scoffed. I nodded.

"Don't ask me when you want one of their numbers!" I winked at him.

"Whatever." He laughed.

"You should be proud." My dad said proudly as he got the letter that said I'd got the job out.

Both of my cousins looked at me in shock, and their reactions were just priceless.

"You can tell them all that you're a daughter of a Jatt!" My dad laughed, everyone else joining in. "And, Maya, remember what I said about the boys who work there? And any other man you meet there." He said sternly. He strictly told me that I wasn't allowed to date, or anything like that. I nodded to him, I probably wouldn't be bothered to date anyone at the moment, I'm enjoying life single.

"That reminds me, let me ring your cousin to remind him to pick you up! He'll probably forget you know!" My mom said with a smile and rolled her eyes before she rang him.

"He's living in Mumbai?" I asked, surprised.

"Yes, and the apartment that we bought for you, he also lives a few doors down, so don't be getting into any mischief, missy, he'll be keeping an eye on you!" My dad laughed.