Chapter Eleven: Comfort Among Chaos

Austin's POV

I was sitting on the roof, messing with my sniper rifle while thinking about that raid. Since then, I was always alone. I was only on two other teams and even then, I never led them as much as Commander Zavala wanted me to. I did what they called single crusades doing three-men operations alone. It took longer, but I didn't have to bear the loss of anyone else, aside from myself.  It's ironic really. Now I have a team and a city to protect from the Grimm.

Feels like home all over again.

Ghost approached me and went through my hoodie.

Ghost: It's finished.

Austin: And?

Ghost: They're not sleeping, that's for sure.

Austin: Figured.

I heard a feminine voice approach me.

Yang: Hey.

She sat down right next to me. Rifle in my hand, I began scouting out the forest ahead of us. I was too embarrassed to muster anything.

Yang: You ok?

Austin:...

Why are you...

I put the rifle down, only to feel her hugging me with warm embrace.

...doing?

Stunned, and unsure what to do, I  returned the hug. In the process, I felt her hands tugging at the hood, lowering it to reveal the shell of my former self. The many scars that filled my face were ever so present. A reminder to myself that I was not a student, but a soldier, willing to give up my light and my life at a single command. A reminder of the hellish nightmares I endured, yet somehow came out brighter than ever.

I turned around to notice both team RWBY and JNPR just watching it all unfold. Saying "this is embarrassing" was putting it lightly.

Yang: We're here for you, Austin.

Her purple eyes stared straight into my ocean blue eyes, straight into my soul, but at the time, all I felt was comfort and warmth. I couldnt help but give a faint smile. 

Austin: Thanks....Yang.

Yang: No problem.

Austin: I'm gonna go sleep. Goodnight everyone.

All: Goodnight.

I put my hood back up and walked to team RWBY's dorm and fell asleep in my little corner. I felt a bunch of hands picking me up. I couldn't see what was going on, but the hands placed me down on what I think is a bed. It felt smooth. Later on, I felt something small lying on me, using me as a pillow, but it too was soft and warm. I wrapped my arms around it and slept peacefully.

Ruby's POV

It was the weekend and I woke up early to see Austin and Yang sleeping with each other. I don't think they did anything seeing that his hood was somewhat up.

Aww! They look adorable together.

I took a photo on my scroll and noticed that he was waking up.

Austin: Hnnnnh....

Ruby: Morning!

Austin: Morning.

Ruby: How was your sleep with Yang.

Austin: With what? Oh that's what it was. Oh. One more hour.

Blake was waking up.

Blake: Morning Ruby. Austin. What are you doing in Yang's bed?

Austin: Quiet you.