Chapter Forty-Three: Saladin's Distrust

Saladin's POV

We were still inside Mr. Lionheart's office, listening to a conversation.

Lionheart: I have to say, Qrow, this all seems very reckless, even for you

Qrow: No, reckless is leaving one of the Relics completely unguarded. It's not checking in with Oz for ages!

Lionheart: There was nothing to check in about before the fall of Beacon, but since that day, Mistral has been in chaos! Vale wasn't the only Kingdom to suffer that night. Everyone was watching. Every house in every Kingdom saw that poor girl ripped to pieces, saw monsters crawling over the city,-.

He looked directly at the two of us.

Lionheart: Atlesian knights attacking citizens.

Saladin: We are no knights of an Atlesian order.

Lionheart: Then what exactly are you?

Saladin: Iron Lords.

The man was unsurprisingly confused.

Lionheart: What?

Qrow: They're just a group of Huntsmen and Huntresses.

Lionheart continued, though he occasional eyeballed Lady Efrideet and I.

Liinheart: You can imagine what it was like when the Grimm came for us. Mistral's territory is the widest reaching in the world, you know, and that makes it infinitely harder to protect. We lost so many great Huntsmen, teachers from this very institution. And it's only gotten worse.

Ruby: What do you mean?

Lionheart: We may have dealt with the Grimm, but the Mistral council's still at odds with representatives from Atlas. First, it was the Dust embargo, now it's the closing of borders. I'm not sure what happened to James in Vale, but it seems to have only worsened some of his more unfortunate tendencies. And, on top of everything, we still don't know where the Spring Maiden is.

Qrow: All the more reason we need the Huntsmen and Huntresses here!

Hmm. No wonder he sought out more Guardians.

Efrideet: So what makes these Maidens so important that they are considered gods?

Lionheart looked at Qrow in disbelief.

Lionheart: I thought you filled them in.

Qrow: Mostly filled in. Look, there's a lot to cover, okay? I quit teaching for a reason.

He removed a flask from his shirt and took a drink from it.

Lionheart: The four Maidens each have the power to perform feats of magic, and they are the only ones capable of reaching the Relics.

Jaune: What?

Qrow: The Relics are each locked inside a chamber that can only be opened by a specific Maiden. Winter for the gift of Creation, Summer for Destruction, Fall for Choice and Spring for Knowledge. Spring is the problem.