Part 17

“Do you want to try for that punch line again Sid?” I gently coerced.

“All over logos,” tried Sid again, “sounds like someone called Loe goes all over the place.”

We all laughed, but nervously, because it was a bit of a weak joke.

“I must get into my long johns,” said Arthur. “Is there anywhere I can change?” He inquired of the proprietor.

“You’ll have to use the loo,” replied the proprietor.

“I hate having to get changed in public lavatories,” grumbled Arthur.

“Excuse me, but are you casting aspersions on my toilet?”

“Er, of course not old chap, I would not cast aspersions on anyone’s toilet. Could you show me the way?”

“Up the stairs, turn left, follow the hall down to the end, up another flight of stairs then the last door on the right.”

“Stairs, left, hall, stairs, right,” mumbled Arthur.

“Are you sure you’ve got that? It’s just that I don’t want you seeing my wife.”

“What’s the matter with your wife?”

“Nothing, she is very beautiful.”

“Then why don’t you want me to see her?”

“In case you scare her.”

“What’s the matter with me? Am I scary?”

“Yes. No. I mean she might think it’s me using the loo and get a fright if she sees it’s you.”

“Oh. Well it’s the stairs, left, end of hall, stairs and the door on the right.”

“The last door on the right.”

“Last door,” memorised Arthur as he started up the stairs.

Sid chewed some sweets and asked the shop proprietor to stick the sticker on his back.