Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"Hinata, talk to me." Naruto urged as Hinata just played silently on the piano.

"Did what she said affected you somehow?" Naruto asked.

He didn't care, he just followed her to the piano recital anyway... Furthermore Neji was still stuck in that meeting with Gai sensei so there was nothing preventing Naruto...

"Why did she call me a whore..." Hinata suddenly blurted out and Naruto's eyes widened.

He wasn't prepared for that question though.

"Erm... Erm... I-I honestly don't know..."

"Is it because you're always sleeping around for her to arrive at that conclusion?" Hinata replied quietly.

Naruto scratched the back of his head nervously.

"Erm... Err... Since you caught me red-handed... Well... Yea... I guess so..."

"I honestly don't care about your personal life Uzumaki but I will be appreciative and grateful if I don't get drag into your mess."

Naruto's face scrunched up in confusion before his eyes turned upset.

"You're blaming me for this? She's the one who called you a whore! Not me!"

Hinata suddenly slammed her fingers down onto the ivory keys making an out of tune sound.

"Yes she called me a whore but isn't that because of you..." Hinata whispered as she clutched at her skirt, staring hard at the words 'Steinway and Sons' engraved onto the white piano.

Naruto swallowed his saliva uncomfortably.

"Well... Erm... That's because she's too clingy on me! I didn't ask her to be so needy! Besides Hinata I can't control what others want to say about you!" Naruto defended himself as Hinata held back her tears.

"He's right... That girl wanted to insult me and there's nothing Naruto kun can do about it..."

"Well I did stood up for you didn't I?" Naruto asked, breaking her thoughts.

Hinata took a deep breath as she turned to Naruto.

"Guess I just let what she said affect me... You're right Naruto... I'm sorry I got too emotional..." Hinata gave him a gentle smile.

Naruto let out a breath of relief that he didn't know he's been holding back.

"For a moment there I thought I was going to lose my parole officer." Naruto smirked at her and she gave a tinkling laugh.

"Don't be silly Naruto. But..." then Hinata's face turned serious. "If the next time I get drag into your personal mess I can't guarantee you I will be this calm."

Naruto sighed as he nodded his head.

"I... understand... You didn't do anything wrong and it wasn't fair of you to get insulted like that..."

"I thought you didn't like me Naruto." Hinata tilted her head sideways. "You said I was always trying to sabotage you. So why did you stood up for me?"

Naruto sweat dropped as he racked his brain for answers.

"I myself am not sure why I immediately stood up for her when she's always giving me my punishments... God why did she ask me such an awkward question..." he mentally smacked himself.

"Erm... I'm... not sure?" he laughed nervously as he tried to compose himself. "I guess... I got to see a side of you that I didn't know ever since you got assigned to be my parole supervisor. It's actually quite pleasant to be in your company." Naruto gave her a warm smile.

Hinata's cheeks flushed a light pink as she looked at her watch and picked up her bag.

"Let's go Naruto. I have to be back home by dinner time."

Naruto eagerly picked up his bag too and walked up beside her as she was about to push the door open.

"Hey... Hinata..." Naruto began as Hinata turned to him.

"Yes Naruto?"

"Is it... Is it... Erm..." Naruto began nervously as he buried his hands in his pockets.

"God why did I even think of asking her this question?!? And since when did we switch roles and I'm the one stuttering now?!?"

"Naruto hurry what is it that you want to ask me? I have to get home soon." Hinata pressed.

Naruto bit his lower lip.

"Ah to heck with it! I'll just ask her!"

"Is it... Is it... Is it... okay if... if..."

Hinata waited patiently for the blonde boy to finish his sentence.

"If... If... I walk you home... Hinata?" Naruto asked nervously.

Hinata's eyes widened.

"Why would you want to walk me home?" she asked curiously and Naruto grinned at her, trying to cover up his nervousness.

"I told you that you're a pleasant company to be around with."

Hinata's hopes were dashed a bit but she didn't let them show.

"Company huh... So he just sees me as a friend... A nice person to be around... I thought... Never mind..."

Hinata gave a bright smile.

"Yea, sure why not Naruto. Let's go then."

Naruto smiled back and nodded. As they started their journey to Hinata's home, Naruto broke the silence again.

"Hey Hinata."

Hinata looked up at the the tall blonde.

"Yes Naruto?"

"Don't ever call me Uzumaki like what you did back there okay." he said softly.

Hinata looked down sadly.

"Oh... You know I didn't mean what I said... It was just in a moment of anger..."

"No... That wasn't what I meant... It just doesn't sound right coming from you." Naruto smiled as he ruffled her midnight blue hair. "Just call me Naruto like how you always do. I like it."

Hinata felt a warm bubbling feeling in her stomach as she smiled and nodded her head at Naruto...